Zum Inhalt springen
Soundtrack Board

Danny Elfman

Stoppi
 Teilen

Empfohlene Beiträge

Sein großer Bruder Richard ist auch voll des Lobes (vor zwei Tagen auf FB):

Me little brudder Danny turns 60! (well almost, in 2 days, actually). But we celebrated last night at our Sunday family barbecue--no big party this year, lower key, big cake, family square dancing after dinner, our new fun Sunday thing (country caller, a few hot fiddlers, etc.). Danny has actually gotten into the best physical shape of his whole f***ing life--took off his shirt and showed chiseled, muscular physique and (first-time in life) SIX PACK!! He's worked out, lost 40 lbs, amazing discipline, looks like a damned boxer. An inspiration--proud of the kid--would show you pic but have "no FB camera" rule at private family stuff. Am blessed with wonderful family, amazing, talented, warm gracious brother.

post-103-0-89304900-1369821193_thumb.jpg

Wenn mein Bruder Millionen auf dem Konto hätte wäre ich auch nett zu ihm :D .... nur n kleiner Scherz ;) Bin auch so nett zu meinen Brüdern...zumindest meistens ;)

Schon in ihrer Jugendzeit verbrachten beide Brüder viel Zeit miteinander, reisten um die Welt. Richard Elfman gründete dann Anfang der 70er die Straßentheatergruppe "The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo", bei denen Danny dann der musikalische Leiter wurde und Ende der 70er, als sich die Gruppe langsam auflöste und die Rockband "Oingo Boingo" daraus wurde, hatten sie mit Danny ihren Sänger und Songwriter.

Richard Elfman wurde dann Regisseur und inszenierte einige B- und C-Movies, mittlerweile ist er Chefredakteur des Buzzine-Magazins. Vor einigen Jahren gab es eine kleine Richard-Elfman-Retrospektive, mit seinen Filmen "Forbidden Zone" (In dem neben Danny auch alle anderen Boingo-Mitglieder zu sehen sind, auch Steve Bartek, der von Anfang an Dannys Scores orchestrierte), "Shrunken Heads" und "Modern Vampires". Das Promo-Video dazu ist super, Richard lässt dafür alte Boingo-Zeiten wieder aufleben:

Aber auch ansonsten sind sein kleiner Bruder Danny und er oft zusammen, machen Musik oder treffen sich einfach so bei den großen Elfman-Familien-Treffen.

• 4 Wochen später...

Elfman hat für Frankenweenie neulich den Staurn Award bekommen:

Danny Elfman was honored with a Saturn Award tonight at the 39th annual Saturn Awards, presented by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films. The composer won the award in the Best Music category for his score for Tim Burton’s animated feature Frankenweenie, which was also recognized in the Best Animated Film category.  The other nominated composers were Mychael Danna (Life of Pi), Dario Marianelli (Anna Karenina), Thomas Newman (Skyfall), Howard Shore (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey) and Hans Zimmer (The Dark Knight Rises). For the full list of winners, visit Variety.

• 11 Monate später...

Da er ja heute Geburtstag hat.. auch in dem Sinne HAPPY BIRTHDAY... hab ich mal auf YT nach Videos von ihm gesucht.. und das hier gefunden.

Das muss echt ein Hammerkonzert gewesen sein!

Außerdem ein 90minutiges Interview, was Jeff Bond mit ihm geführt hat

• 6 Monate später...
  • 6 Monate später...

Neues Interview mit Danny Elfman, was man in voller Länge hier sich anhören kann und wo er auch über die ED WOOD-Sache redet.

Grammy-winning composer Danny Elfman and director Tim Burton have collaborated on 16 films, from "Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure" to "The Nightmare Before Christmas," several of which have taken center stage for the live show "Danny Elfman's Music from the Films of Tim Burton." And while Elfman has created the sounds of countless Burton fantasy worlds, their partnership has not always been so harmonious.

Elfman, who has scored all of Burton's major feature films except for "Ed Wood" and "Sweeney Todd," discussed his tumultuous relationship with the director in a HuffPost Live interview on Friday, remembering the "unique situation" that left duo at odds just as Burton was to start filming "Ed Wood."

"It was in the middle of a very intense period. I'd just finished 'The Nightmare Before Christmas,' which was a two-and-a-half-year project, in the middle of which I did 'Batman Returns.' And I was used to being on a film for three months, not two years-plus," Elfman said. "So it was kind of a unique situation, and I think things came to a boil. ... A year after that I felt terrible. I really felt like I … had lost a sibling."

After working together for so long, Elfman said the spat was bound to happen.

"It's inevitable that in over a quarter of a century, two personalities like us -- and I can't pretend that I'm not volatile and was more so then -- there's gotta be some kind of explosion or implosion," Elfman told host Caroline Modaressy-Tehrani. "And we used to joke that we'd end up like Bernard Herrmann and Alfred Hitchcock, who famously had a great relationship that, in fact, exploded, and then they never spoke to each other again -- and then it actually happened."

The pair eventually met up at a coffee shop in Kansas City, where Burton was filming "Mars Attacks!," to reconcile their differences.

"We just got together and said, 'Let's just never speak of it.' And I [said], 'Good, we never will,' and we never have. And everything's been lovely since then," said Elfman.
Watch the full HuffPost Live conversation with Danny Elfman here.

Quelle: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/danny-elfman-on-the-ups-and-downs-of-his-relationship-with-tim-burton_55a402cbe4b0ecec71bc99e5?

• 1 Monat später...
  • 2 Monate später...
  • 1 Monat später...
  • 2 Wochen später...

Interview mit Danny Elfman, wo er verrät, dass er nicht den neuen Film von Tim Burton vertonen wird.

You’ve just been rehearsing some new music for the end of Alice In Wonderland: have you heard it played by an orchestra before?
That was the first time it was ever played. I only wrote it a couple of weeks ago.

So how did it feel to hear it?
Good, really good. Nothing like hearing a good orchestra playing your piece for the first time.

Do you automatically scrutinise the orchestra when they’re playing your work?
When it’s the first time, you have to. You’re listening for little things that sneak in, even typos. First time anything’s played, even if it’s the first time played with an orchestra of a piece that has been played before, you still listen very closely.

Alice in Wonderland is a relatively young score – it’s only five or six years old – why do you think it’s had such a big impact, and is at the point where it can be played live by an orchestra in a concert?
I don’t know, I was surprised for that very reason. Usually it’s after two or three. But I can’t ever answer why anybody wants to play anything, I’m just glad when somebody wants to play some of my music.

People often say that you have a particular sound, films like Edward Scissorhands and Nightmare Before Christmas. What is it about those classic Elfman scores that makes people say ‘Ah, that’s a Danny Elfman score?’
I don’t know, I’m probably the worst one to ask. I’ve been told that, but I couldn’t tell you what I do, because it’s what I do. It’s almost like describing “Why do you look the way you do… I don’t know… my genetics?”

So you’ve got a big year coming up. Goosebumps, which obviously is already done, the new Tim Burton film-
I’m not doing that [Mrs Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children].

Well, our research is obviously terrible.
It’s probably unknown, but no. Still coming up this year, Tulip Fever will follow Goosebumps.

And we’ve also got the sequel to Alice in Wonderland as well.
That’s what I’m a little past the middle of. I kinda snuck out, but since it’s all in the family I kinda snuck away from ‘Alice’ to do ‘Alice’, and I didn’t feel too guilty.

How much of the material from the first one is going to influence the second?
Well, definitely thematically all the themes are there, plus a new theme for a new character, played by Sacha Baron Cohen. He got the new theme.

When you’re writing something like that, a theme for a new character like that, how do you go about it?
There’s no technique about how one approaches it. You look at the entire tone of a score and you go ‘How can I fit this character in?’. Give them something that’s kind of his own thing. So in this particular case, ‘Alice’ has already so many thematic ideas, I needed to give him something that sounded different. It’s not like just a seventh melody out of six others. It was kind of tricky, but I just knew that whatever it was, it had to find its own identity, not to just get absorbed, because “Alice’ is a pretty thematic score, melodically it keeps cycling between different themes and it’s like ‘uh-oh, gotta put another one in, gotta make it stand out.

In a purely practical sense, how do you go about making a score sound scary? What musical tools do you have in your arsenal?
Well, there’s many, many ways to make something sound scary. The classic, traditional way is low strings - since the 20th century they’ve been used to convey ‘spooky’, but there’s many sounds one can use if it really is a scary movie. I’d be looking for strange sounds. In ‘Alice in Wonderland’, there’s nothing actually scary for real, it’s all fantasy, so for the weirder side I try to use an influence, actually kind of a George Martin thing with the strings, so slightly conveyed a bit of a psychedelic thing, so he’s influenced some orchestration with some of the early Beatles tunes. ‘I am the Walrus’ comes to mind, and a couple of the others. I took a little bit of that feel to convey the weirder side of the ‘Alice’ score. It’s not so much that it’s scary, it just gets weird.

The new piece you rehearsed today sounded a bit like the choral parts of ELO’s ‘Mr. Blue Sky’. You’ve got a grounding in pop and songs to an extent, haven’t you?
Well, less than you’d think. I have real specific eras that I tuned in and tuned out. So as a kid I grew up on The Beatles, but then I dropped out for over a decade. I wouldn’t listen to anything recorded after 1938. I was really in my own head living in Harlem, 1931, and then all of sudden all this stuff’s been happening in the last decade. ‘Who’s this David Bowie?’ and that kind of stuff.

Since then I dropped in and out. I’ll pop in and get the new favourite band. But I’m amazingly not connected to that world, even though I supposedly did that for a long time [Elfman was a member of Oingo Boingo]. People don’t believe me when they’re playing a song and I’m going ‘I don’t know what that is’ – ‘of course you know what that is’ – ‘I really don’t know what that is!’ As an adult, sometimes when I was done writing at the end of the night, sometimes I’d tune in late night FM radio for an hour to clear my head and I’d inadvertently discover bands and suddenly it’s like, ‘Radiohead, who is this? I’ve gotta learn more about them.’ In terms of pop music in general, I’m clueless.

Why do you think you, as you say, dropped out for a decade?
I was a street musician and I was working with kind of a musical, theatrical troupe, and we did a lot of music from that era. The first music I ever learned to write down was Duke Ellington music that was written probably in 1933, so it was just kind of an obsessive infatuation with things of that period.

When you’re writing, do you still work in that same way? Do you notate much at the computer, or is it by hand?
Now it’s all computer. In hindsight, I’m not sorry that for my first ten years writing we didn’t have that luxury, because I did work 18 hours a day. I’m glad I don’t quite have to do that seven days a week anymore, but it was still really good experience having to scribble it all down in pencil.

Geek question: your score for ‘Mars Attacks!’ is brilliant. Properly intimidating and scary, tons of theremin, but basically for a really silly film about an alien invasion. What are your memories of writing that score?
That was one that was real simple. Some movies with Tim [burton] are a little more roundabout to figure out how to get to it. The first time I saw the film there was what they call an animatic of the opening sequence. It’s not finished animation, it’s a primitive animation, but the feel of it was there with the first few spaceships, and then more and more and more spaceships, and I actually heard the opening title music in my head right while it was playing. I had to stop the screening and go out and make a bunch of notes and then go back in because I didn’t want to forget it. But it’s one of the few times that anything like that happened that easily. It was like ‘Oh my God, I hear this, it’s happening!’

Any of your other scores where that’s happened?
Not many. The two things that most come to mind in that regard would be the theme to The Simpsons. I wrote it in the car on the way home from meeting the creator Matt Groening, and by the time I got home it was all done in my head. But having done something like 90 or 95 scores, it’s happened precious few times quite that simply. I don’t know when I’ll hit 100 scores, I have to go on IMDB and do some kind of count.

Edit: Laut Scott Glasgow wird Matthew Margeson diesmal für die Musik beim neuen Tim Burton-Film verantwortlich sein. Wenigstens sagte er das auf Facebook.

Schade, dass Elfman den nicht macht. Warum wohl? Vielleicht ein "scheduling conflict"? Der Film wurde schon mehrfach verschoben und hat auch jetzt eigenartige Startzeiten. Während er in Großbritannien beispielsweise schon im Februar 2016 anläuft, wird er in den USA erst im Dezember 2016 zu sehen sein.

Oder es wird daraus ein Musical gemacht mit schon bestehenden Songs und da braucht man nicht viel Score. Aber ich hab bisher nichts von einem erneuten Streit zwischen den beiden gehört. Hoffen wir, dass er beim nächsten dann wieder dabei ist... denn das soll ja endlich Beetlejuice 2 werden.

• 5 Monate später...

51583.jpg

1.Intro  1:21

2.Frolic  9:34

3.Gamelan  9:40

4.Rag  12:12

5.Lyric  2:09

6.Finale  10:18 

Total:  45:13

Hier kann man sich das neueste Werk von Danny Elfman anhören  :music:

http://www.soundtrack-board.de/topic/15388-sony-classical-danny-elfman-rabbit-rogue/page-2#entry376490

Dein Kommentar

Du kannst jetzt schreiben und Dich später registrieren. Wenn Du ein Konto hast, melde Dich jetzt an, um unter Deinem Benutzernamen zu schreiben.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Nur 75 Emojis sind erlaubt.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

Teilen

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Wir nutzen auf unserer Webseite Cookies, um Ihnen einen optimalen Service zu bieten. Wenn Sie weiter auf unserer Seite surfen, stimmen Sie der Cookie-Verwendung und der Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten über Formulare zu. Zu unserer Datenschutzerklärung: Datenschutzerklärung