Zum Inhalt springen
Soundtrack Board

Quartet Records: Jerry Goldsmith - THE RUSSIA HOUSE (EXPANDED)

horner1980
 Teilen

Empfohlene Beiträge

Zitat

303._the_russia_house.jpg

New release available at www.quartetrecords.com

THE RUSSIA HOUSE
Expanded Original MGM Motion Picture Soundtrack
Music Composed and Conducted by Jerry Goldsmith
Reissue Produced and Mastered by Mike Matessino
Liner notes by Dirk Wickenden
Limited edition of 1000 units

Quartet Records, Universal Music Group and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer present the remastered, expanded edition of Jerry Goldsmith’s romantic noir score for the spy-drama THE RUSSIA HOUSE, a 1990 adaptation of a John Le Carré novel directed by Fred Schepisi, and starring Sean Connery, Michelle Pfeifer, Roy Schneider, James Fox and Klaus Maria Brandauer.

First of the collaborations between Goldsmith and Schepisi (they would continue working together on several films, giving Goldsmith the opportunity to write some of the most unusual—and controversial—scores of his final period), THE RUSSIA HOUSE was composed just after TOTAL RECALL, but is a radically different score. It’s one of the most intimate, melodic and special scores composed by Goldsmith in the nineties, and one of the composer’s personal favorites as well.

MCA released a generous 61-minute CD in 1990, including most of the score, but missing some key suspense cues. We now present the complete score, in film order, with more than 15 minutes of unreleased music. This edition has been produced by Mike Matessino, with tracks prepared by Neil S. Bulk and mastered by Matessino from the original mixes by Bruce Botnick. The package includes a 16-page full color booklet with Dirk Wickenden providing in-depth liner notes and musical analysis of this masterful Goldsmith score.

01. Katya (4:03)
02. First Meeting (2:05)
03. The Package / London House / We’ve Got Him (1:37)
04. Introductions (3:16)
05. The Conversation (4:17)
06. Portrait of Katya (0:49)
07. Training (2:05)
08. Katya and Barley (2:35)
09. Who Is He? (1:32)
10. First Name, Yakov (2:57)
11. All Alone (0:37)
12. Bon Voyage (2:15)
13. The Meeting (4:02)
14. I’m With You (What Is This Thing Called Love?) (2:42)
15. The Lie Detector (2:17)
16. The Gift (2:38)
17. Full Marks (2:32)
18. Barley’s Love (3:30)
19. My Only Country (4:40)
20. Crossing Over (4:17)
21. The Cemetery (1:17)
22. The Deal (4:14)
23. The Family Arrives (7:43)
24. Alone in the World (Vocal by Patti Austin) (4:14)
25. Barley’s Love (Film Version) (3:32)

Total Disc Time: 75:57
Limited Collector’s Edition of 1000 units.
Quelle: http://www.quartetrecords.com/the-russia-house.html

Interessanterweise sollen die "fehlenden" 15 Minuten musikalisch "ganz anders" sein als der Rest. Da es sich aber anscheinend hauptsächlich um Spannungspassagen handelt, dürfte es sich auch um keine Erleuchtungen handeln. Goldsmith selbst soll ja auch bedauert haben, dass das Album so lang geworden ist. Ich habe es auch selten komplett durchgehört. Man muss Schepisi ja lassen, dass er den doch in seinen ökonomisch-wirkungsvollen Mustern etwas "festgefahrenen" Komponisten zu originellen Werken angeregt hat. SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION, MR. BASEBALL, RUSSIA HOUSE, I. Q. und FIERCE CREATURES sind zwar weniger Meisterwerke als die Werke eines alten Meisters, aber wohltuend erfrischend und kontrovers. Mir geht I. Q. stark auf den Zeiger, aber insbesondere FIERCE CREATURES und den unglaublich trashigen Mr. BASEBALL, der wirklich eine ästhetische Unverschämtheit ist, möchte ich nicht missen.

Die Goldsmith-Veröffentlichungen von Quartet scheinen sich an Hordcore-Fans oder Leute, die die bisherigen Alben noch nicht hatten, zu richten. Weltbewegendes war bei den Expandierungen von KING SOLOMON'S MINES, TOTAL RECALL und BASIC INSTINCT nicht dabei.

I. Q. ist mir dann oft zu stereotyp in den einzelnen Stilidiomen und ergibt für mich weniger ein rundes Ganzes wie MR. BASEBALL, der streckenweise echt bescheuert ist, aber in genau dieser Kaugummi-Sushi-Fusion überzeugender auf mich wirkt als die Violinsolo-"Du-wab"-Swing-Nummern aus I. Q. SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION finde ich auch sehr ungewöhnlich für Goldsmith, passt im Film aber wie die Faust auf's Auge und liefert auf CD auch ein paar schöne kammermusikalische Momente, die es so bei Goldsmith auch noch nicht gab.

vor 12 Minuten schrieb JGFan:

Schepisi hat noch einiges gemacht, nur halt nicht mit Jerry! Kurz vor seinem Tode war Jerry, soweit ich weiß, noch für zwei Schepisi-Projekte eingeplant: Empire Falls und ein Film namens Picasso at the lapin agile, der nie zustande kam.

Für letzteren war Goldsmith aber, soweit ich weiß, bereits eingeplant oder zumindest angefragt. Er gab das Projekt dann aber ab, beziehungsweise nahm es gar nicht an, weil sein Gesundheitszustand immer schlechter wurde und letztendlich wurde der Film bis heute nicht realistiert. Das Ganze ist ein von Komiker Steve Martin geschriebenes Theaterstück, welches verfilmt werden sollte.

Interessante Infos zu den letzten Projekten, danke sami! Wusste ich gar noch nicht mit EMPIRE FALLS...

Zu THE RUSSIA HOUSE: hielt noch gar nicht Einzug in meine Sammlung, aber wenn es irgendwann mal soweit ist, reicht mir das alte Album. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Mephisto:

... Goldsmith selbst soll ja auch bedauert haben, dass das Album so lang geworden ist ...

Ja das hat er ... 1992 hätte er am liebsten 10 Minuten rausgeschnitten:

Zitat

Jerry Goldsmith: You can only hope that people like your music on the album. But there are too many records of mine out there, and I’d like to eliminate 90% of them. They’re releasing another old score now, and for what? Everything doesn’t have to be on a record, especially when some of these reissues aren’t that good. It’s all out of my control, and the collectors want any film score. It’s like getting bottle caps for them! But if I really like the score, then I’ll spend a lot of time on the album. However, I put too much music on the RUSSIA HOUSE CD. I’d love to pull ten minutes out of it so the score wouldn’t sound so redundant.

vor 12 Stunden schrieb ronin1975:

... is doch Goldsmiths Lieblingsscore gewesen oder?

Ja, THE RUSSIA HOUSE war 1992 Goldsmith's Lieblingsscore ... und folgende Filme, bei deren Scores es "kritische Stimmen" gab weil die Scores für manche zu seicht waren bla bla bla, hat er explizit ausgesucht ... ich mag alle, denn ich mag den lyrischen Goldsmith sehr! :) 

Zitat

Jerry Goldsmith: I realized that I wanted to do “people” pictures again, and held out until I got THE RUSSIA HOUSE, SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY, and LOVE FIELD, movies where I could get lyrical again. THE RUSSIA HOUSE is now my favorite score, while my work for MEDICINE MAN has some very lyrical moments.

Hier ist eine sehr interessante kleine Anekdote über CHINATOWN :D 

Zitat

Jerry Goldsmith: I once told the producer of CHINATOWN that I wanted to use an orchestra of four harps, four pianos, strings, a solo trumpet, and percussion. He said, “Oh, that’s wonderful.” But I was just talking off the top of my head to make conversation! Then I realized it was an interesting combination, which shows that it’s all nonsense until you put the notes down on paper.

Das gesamte, überaus informative und interessante Interview mit Jerry Goldsmith kann man hier finden:

http://www.runmovies.eu/jerry-goldsmith-on-scoring-basic-instinct/

• 2 Wochen später...

Heute erhalten.

Tolles Booklet und die »neuen« 13:46 Minuten bringen etwas Abwechslung in das sonst ins Uniforme abzudriften drohende Album. Vom neuen Material lohnen sich für mich vor allem – auch wenn es vornehmlich sehr kurze Stücke sind – First Meeting, Portrait of Katya, Who Is He?, The Lie Detector, The Cemetery (dieses Cello!) und die gemäßigtere Film-Version von Barley's Love.

Den Klang zu vergleichen, ist bei Matessinos Mitwirken müßig. ;)

• 1 Monat später...

Filmtracks hat die Besprechung zu The Russia House Anfang Januar erweitert.

Zitat

Goldsmith disapproved of the MCA Records album because it presented the mass of the music from the film intact. Many people will argue alongside Goldsmith that The Russia House would make a fantastic 30-minute album. But MCA, in this case, got it right. There are nuances in this score that make every moment one of intrigue. If you cut out all of the duduk ethnicity and bass string suspense, you would be left with the dozen renditions of the love theme, and one of the great aspects of the score in its entirety is its ability to launch one of those lush thematic statements at just the right moment of lonely despair. No better such example exists than the cue "My Only Country," which spans nearly the score's whole emotional spectrum. It should come as no surprise that a Quartet Records expanded presentation of Goldsmith's The Russia House in 2017, clocking in at 76 minutes and moving the song to the end, sold out of its woefully inadequate, 1,000-copy run within weeks. While only adding about ten minutes of substantively new music, that additional material is rewarding. The suspenseful string ambience of "First Meeting," the gorgeous Katya and Barley themes of "Portrait of Katya" (the score's only acoustic guitar moment), the Katya and suspense theme interplay on piano and synthetics in "The Lie Detector," and the lushly melodramatic Katya theme opening to "The Cemetery" are all fantastic additions on the 2017 product. Sound quality is also stellar on this presentation, Goldsmith's electronics stunningly encompassing. Still, many listeners will be deterred by the length of either album, overlooking the profound impact that an understated score like this can have on its film, and some will comment that the score is simply too depressing to enjoy on a bright, sunny afternoon. But elegance comes in many forms, and the music from The Russia House, while perfect for the shadows of midnight despair, is a score that anyone, and especially a Goldsmith enthusiast, should be able to appreciate at any hour. The work came during a fantastic year for film music, and while John Barry's Dances With Wolves, Danny Elfman's Edward Scissorhands, and Basil Poledouris' The Hunt for Red October, among others, drew all the mainstream attention, the quality of The Russia House exceeds all of them. The difference is style.  *****

Vollste Zustimmung. :)

• 2 Jahre später...
Gast Stefan Jania

Das ging 1990 in allen Internet-Foren hoch und runter. War ein Skandal! Hast Du das damals nicht mitbekommen. ?

Schlimmer noch als das Gesumme von Goldsmith im "Main Title" von Rudy drei Jahre später.

Dein Kommentar

Du kannst jetzt schreiben und Dich später registrieren. Wenn Du ein Konto hast, melde Dich jetzt an, um unter Deinem Benutzernamen zu schreiben.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Nur 75 Emojis sind erlaubt.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

Teilen

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Wir nutzen auf unserer Webseite Cookies, um Ihnen einen optimalen Service zu bieten. Wenn Sie weiter auf unserer Seite surfen, stimmen Sie der Cookie-Verwendung und der Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten über Formulare zu. Zu unserer Datenschutzerklärung: Datenschutzerklärung