Zum Inhalt springen
Soundtrack Board

SCARY STORIES TO TELL IN THE DARK von Marco Beltrami und Anna Drubich

Teilen

Empfohlene Beiträge

Mal wieder ein Horrorfilm für Beltrami, der hier gemeinsam mit Anne Drubich die Musik schreiben wird. Sie hatte bereits bei 1864 mit Beltrami zusammen gearbeitet.

Zitat

Marco Belrami and Anna Drubich will be scoring upcoming horror movie SCARY STORIES TO TELL IN THE DARK for director André Ovredal (The Autopsy of Jane Doe), based on the book by Alvin Schwartz, which include several episodes written by John August (new live action Aladdin, The Big Fish), Marcus Dunstan & Patrick Melton (Saw 4-3D), Dan & Kevin Hageman (The Lego Movie) and Guillermo Del Toro who also serves as one of the film's producers.

Set in1968 America. Change is blowing in the wind...but seemingly far removed from the unrest in the cities is the small town of Mill Valley where for generations, the shadow of the Bellows family has loomed large. It is in their mansion on the edge of town that Sarah, a young girl with horrible secrets, turned her tortured life into a series of scary stories, written in a book that has transcended time-stories that have a way of becoming all too real for a group of teenagers who discover Sarah's terrifying tome.

The movie stars Zoe Margaret Colletti, Michael Garza, Austin Zajur, Gabriel Rush and Dean Norris. Lionsgate will release CBS Films, Entertainment One and 1212 Entertainment coproduction on August 9th.
Quelle: http://www.marco-beltrami.com/index.html

Hier ein Trailer

Dat heißt gar nix ? Bei Fantastic Four stand auch Philip Glass dabei und der hat keine einzige Note geschrieben. 

Gerade solche Projekte wie dieses hier sind für mich auch immer ein Anzeichen darauf, dass Beltrami's Name drauf steht, er es aber an in diesem Fall Drubich abgibt. Ähnlich wie damals bei A Good Day To Die Hard. Marco's Name, 98% Roberts und Trumpp's Score.

vor 17 Stunden schrieb TheRealNeo:

Ging doch um del Toro und nicht den Komponisten. 

Ah ok, mea culpa ?

Glass sollte laut Josh Trank unbedingt dabei sein. Hat auch die Stirn gerunzelt, Beltrami und Team ein Sheet mit nicht mehr als 4-6 Takten einer Pianoline geschickt und das war's. Haben sich alle totgelacht. Gut, so kann man auch mal 'n Credit bekommen.

Trank war aber so oder so auch beim Score Input ein Graus. ("Wow! That's so cool!! What is that?" - "A chord change..." - "Yes THAT. ... We need THAT!" ?

• 3 Monate später...

Hier ein paar Details, die Anne Drubich in einem Interview preisgegeben hat, welche mich schon neugierig auf den Score machen:

Zitat

"From the very first screening it was clear that the film already had a very specific atmosphere and style, as well as a clear artistic message. Music just had to intensify all these and go together with what was there already," the project's composer, Anna Drubich, told me during a phone interview. "Guillermo and Andre were convinced that music was going to be a crucial element in bringing everything together. And after watching the director’s cut, Marco [Beltrami] and I looked at each other and realized that it needed a ghoulish and orchestral kind of score. I mean, the movie felt like an homage to Spielberg's Amblin movies and other great old films. So, we had to acknowledge that in the music, too."

Recounting her first meeting with the Øvredal, she said:

"At our first meeting, Andre said a terrifying phrase for any film composer: ‘When I listen to music, I only listen to soundtracks,’ which means he knows the drill and the history of soundtracks. He’s not afraid to use music and really believes that it’s part of the picture. He’s a master of suspense and knows how to make the most out of the score ... He loves John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith and really wanted us to be free to go in that direction. That was a very helpful pointer. And then a lot of work was connected to figuring out where the music was necessary, and where we could skip on it. But we were on the same page in regards to the style of music and the vibe it had to give off. In the end, his musical erudition helped me a lot."

Given the late '60s time period, Drubich admitted that the film's utilizes a few licensed songs along with the original score she composed with Marco Beltrami. Given the fact that the flick paints a nostalgic portrait of American youth (a la America Graffiti), it makes a lot of sense.

"There are a couple of 60’s-era songs," she continued. "Plus, these beautiful long melodies and motifs that feel like a 60’s thing [and] really evoke the retro setting. But it’s really a large orchestra—I’m in love with the orchestra ... It was a lot of music to write for one project. That was probably the biggest challenge for me. But when you’re working with so many talented people—Marco, Andre, and Guillermo—it also becomes the best thing. They inspire you and the challenges themselves become fun ... In many of Guillermo’s movies, some very clear message for the real life hides behind the fairy tale and the fantasy world. This film makes familiar stories strange, even though you recognize their core."

Since the movie is a mash-up of the different stories found in Schwartz's books, Drubich and Beltrami wanted each manifestation of the yarns—be it "The Pale Lady" or "The Red Spot"—to have its own unique musical sound.

"There are all these different textures, which we wanted to use to inform the story," she continued. "We came up with the idea that every horror sequence was going to have its own 'sound center.' For 'Harold,' we recorded these raw-sounding guitars and a broken banjo; 'The Big Toes' came to be a brass-centered piece; 'The Red Spot' revolved around strings; 'The Pale Lady' turned out as a woodwind sequence; and 'Jangly Man' came to be a percussive thing. We tried to be traditional in a modern way. The audience will never pay attention to it, because, all in all, it’s one single orchestral score, but we added a twist for every [story]."

While Drubich is a native of Russia and didn't grow up reading the Scary Stories books like many kids in the U.S., she was still raised on a healthy dose of her own country's spine-tingling folk tales, allowing her to easily identify with the project's screenplay.

"I grew up in Russia and every culture has its own spooky stories for kids," she explained. "They are all similar, but my heart stays with the Russian versions. I read the books when Marco told me about the project, but they just were not scary for me ... But when I read the script, I was spooked out. The script made a great impression on me. I was curious about how they were going to integrate all these different characters into one narrative ...  I wanted to free myself of all the other things to work on the score, so I sent my kids to Moscow, and stayed home alone, working away. At some point it, was too much. I’d react to every noise and I’d keep the lights on. At some point, I decided that I’d call it a day when the sun was down. By the end, I got used to all the monsters."

Quelle: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshweiss/2019/08/01/scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark-composer-teases-classic-spielbergian-vibe-to-movie/?fbclid=IwAR2RQXbcWIr80QcyUjYVr728tz5g-u4OmdKMx4P6JL82RFfDYKb5iCaDRh4#3b84abeb625e

Bei solchen Retro-Konzepten klingeln bei mir eigentlich die Alarmglocken, insbesondere wenn es sich - den trübsinnigen Trends entsprechend - mal wieder auf die AMBLIN-Spielberg-GOONIES/TWILIGHT-ZONE-80er-Nostalgie bezieht (es reicht so langsam einfach damit...) - andererseits versprechen einige Äußerungen auch einen Beltrami-typisch elaboriert-kunstmusikalischen Zugang, mit den gewohnten, modernistischen Einflüssen.

Ich hoffe mal auf etwas in Richtung DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK - Zeit wäre es mal wieder für einen Beltrami dieser Größen- und Qualitätsordnung. 

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Sebastian Schwittay:

mal wieder auf die AMBLIN-Spielberg-GOONIES/TWILIGHT-ZONE-80er-Nostalgie bezieht (es reicht so langsam einfach damit...) - 

Wenn ich mir die Aufnahmen im Trailer anschaue, sehe ich nicht viel Amblin darin ... Viele würden gerne auf dem Niveau Filme drehen, aber kaum einer schafft es. ;)

• 4 Wochen später...

Dann hättsch ja Scary Stories anhören können bis zum Crystal... oder kam der auch erst heute raus?

na is Beltrami Horror wie mans kennt. Mehr orchestral als sonst. 

Ganz flott und laut, aber halt nichts was es thematisch zusammenhält...

37min... reicht so auch...

Gast Stefan Jania
vor 10 Stunden schrieb ronin1975:

Dann hättsch ja Scary Stories anhören können bis zum Crystal... oder kam der auch erst heute raus?

Kamen beide erst heute raus. Wie man sieht ist "heute" ja relativ, je nachdem wo man sich auf der Erde befindet. ? Beltrami interessiert mich allerdings schon länger gar nicht mehr. Somit in Spotify ganz nach hinten geschoben - wo ich's wahrscheinlich nie hören werde. ☠️

• 3 Wochen später...
Außer ronin noch niemand gehört? Leider eine ziemliche Enttäuschung - viele nette kleine Snippets, aber kaum Zusammenhalt, kein roter Faden und auch wenig Binnenstruktur in den Tracks selbst. Ziemliches Stückwerk, bei dem auch kaum etwas hängen bleibt. 

Von einem DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK ist das leider gleich mehrere Klassen entfernt. 

Dein Kommentar

Du kannst jetzt schreiben und Dich später registrieren. Wenn Du ein Konto hast, melde Dich jetzt an, um unter Deinem Benutzernamen zu schreiben.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Nur 75 Emojis sind erlaubt.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

Teilen

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Wir nutzen auf unserer Webseite Cookies, um Ihnen einen optimalen Service zu bieten. Wenn Sie weiter auf unserer Seite surfen, stimmen Sie der Cookie-Verwendung und der Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten über Formulare zu. Zu unserer Datenschutzerklärung: Datenschutzerklärung