Zum Inhalt springen
Soundtrack Board

Hollywood Records: Mark Snow - The New Mutants

horner1980
 Teilen

Empfohlene Beiträge

Nach dem ersten Hören bin ich auch enttäuscht. Snow macht leider da weiter, wo er mit der elften Staffel der X-FILES angefangen hat. Sein doch recht prägnanter Personalstil wird verwässert durch im Grunde typisches Blockbuster-Scoring. Vor allem die Actionmusik ist dröge und könnte so auch von jedem anderen sein. Nur in den ruhigen Passagen blitzt der Stil Snows immer wieder auf. Der Einsatz des Cellos erinnerte mich da an den zweiten X-FILES-Film, aber eben ohne die entsprechenden Themen dahinter. Das ist auch ein Knackpunkt, es gibt kein wirkliches Thema, nur hier und da mal ansatzweise ein Motiv. Dadurch wirkt alles recht austauschbar und rumpelt ohne große Höhepunkte vor sich hin.

Am interessantesten finde ich da noch den letzten Track, "Control/Time to sleep". Der klingt noch am ehensten nach Snow, aber auch hier mit angezogener Handbremse. Man denkt, da kommt noch was, da entwickelt sich noch ein größeres Thema oder ein Höhepunkt, aber es bleibt bei der Andeutung. Wirklich schade, aber scheinbar wohl auch so gefordert für den Film. Wäre interessant zu hören, wie der ursprüngliche Score klang.

vor 52 Minuten schrieb ronin1975:

naja soviele gabs ja jetzt auch nicht haha... Spass beiseite... Film soll ja doch auch eher für die Tonne sein... das ewige hin und her hat dann doch nichts mehr gebracht... reicht mal auf netflix fuerchte ich

hahah ja das stimmt schon :D

jap, war ja irgendwie klar...werde ihn mir ansehen aber auch nur auf netflix und co...

Mark Snow konnte wunderbare Actionmusik vertonen. Aber das war Ende der 70er bei seinen TV-Einsätzen zu HART TO HART, T.J. HOOKER, CAGNEY & LACEY und andere. Da hat er für mich sogar locker den Actionsound eines Post und Carpenter aus anderen Serien übertroffen.

Schade, dass seine klassischen TV-Musiken nie auf CD präsentiert wurden. Man kennt ihn eigentlich nur durch seine X-FILES Suspense-Scores, obwohl er im Fusion, Funk und Disco Bereich für mich viel facettenreicher komponiert hatte.

Ja, die Allgemeinheit kennt ihn echt nur von den X-Files-TV-Scores, dabei zeigte er schon immer eine sehr große Vielfalt. Sei es seine Scores wie "Born to the Wild", "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" oder auch "Crazy in Alabama", den ich sehr mag. Bei denen glaubt man fast nicht, dass die von ihm stammen. Anderes Beispiel ist sein 80s Synthie-Score "Jake Speed", und dann gibt es halt noch seinen sehr intimen Score für "Private Fears in Public Places", der einen besonderen Platz in meinem Herzen hat. Sehr schöner Score. Mark Snow kann eigentlich alles komponieren, wenn man ihn lässt. Dazu gehört auch richtig harte, mitreißende und sehr gut komponierte orchestrale Actionmusik, denn das hat er in den Akte X-Kinofilmen gezeigt.
"New Mutants" hat gute Ansätze, was ich so gehört habe, aber irgendwie fehlt da vor allem ein echtes Thema.
Trotz allem war das eine schöne Sache für Mark, denn damit hatte er endlich mal wieder einen größeren Film vertont und sogar einen Marvel-Film.
Soweit ich gelesen habe, soll der Film sogar recht gut geworden sein. Ich bin gespannt auf den Film, wobei da eine Frage ist, wo der dann irgendwann zu sehen ist, denn Neflix oder Prime schließe ich mich aus, denn hinter "New Mutants" steckt ja nun Disney. Wenn er nicht auf DVD oder BluRay rauskommt, wird es den wohl nur digital zu kaufen geben oder Hulu wird sich ihn annehmen.

Ich habe mir ein paar Stücke von THE NEW MUTANTS angehört und kann meinen Vorrednern nur zustimmen. Der Score unterstützt bestimmt den Film einigermaßen, aber alleinstehend bietet er leider kein Hörvergnügen. Da lege ich doch lieber wieder die neu erschienene JOHN WILLIAMS IN VIENNA CD auf! ;) 

So richtig gezündet hat der Score bei mir bisher auch nicht. Hatte mir da auch irgendwie ein Thema erhofft, welches irgendwie hängen bleibt. In einigen Momenten gab es so bisschen X-Files Staffel 10 und 11 Feeling. Vielleicht gewinnt der Score nochmal, wenn er im Einklang mit den Szenen genossen und nachträglich "nachgehört" wird :)

Alleinstehend leider etwas blass.

Interview mit Mark Snow:

Zitat
Mark_Snow_New_Mutants_Banner.jpg

THE NEW MUTANTS is a horror film in the superhero genre, based on the Marvel Comics team of the same name. It is the last installment of 20th Century Fox’s X-MEN film series. Directed by Josh Boone (STUCK IN LOVE, THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, the forthcoming 10-part miniseries of Stephen King’s THE STAND) from a screenplay he wrote with Knate Lee, the movie stars Maisie Williams, Anya Taylor-Joy, Charlie Heaton, Alice Braga, Blu Hunt, and Henry Zaga. In the film, a group of young mutants held in a secret facility fight to save themselves. Filmed in 2017 and originally intended for release in April 2018, the film faced several delays for various reasons, finally being given an August 28th, 2020 release under Disney’s acquisition of Fox.

Originally, director Josh Boone had brought in his regular composers, Mike Mogis & Nate [Nathaniel] Walcott of the three-piece band Bright Eyes, to score THE NEW MUTANTS, but studio heads insisted in bringing in a seasoned film composer. They asked Boone who he would prefer. Boone replied, “If Mark Snow is available that would be great.” The studio concurred, and simply said, “See if he’s available and if he wants to do it.” He was, and he did, and thus Mark Snow came into the project as its official composer—although some of Mogis and Walcott’s music does remain in the film.

Q: What was your musical palette as far as creating the score for THE NEW MUTANTS?

Mark Snow: The first two-thirds of this movie is a horror film—it’s about these kids stuck in an abandoned asylum run by a wicked female doctor. Then in the last third, it becomes pure superhero music as these kids embrace their powers. So the first two-thirds was more of an ambient, synthy, sustained musical approach. There were some emotional cues in the first part where I had an orchestra doing fairly simple music, but I used live players. Then when things got going then it was blast-off full-blast 90-piece orchestra. That music was real, hard-core action/superhero stuff.

Q: So in treating this group as a whole, did you have a thematic or motivic orientation to the score that transforms with the group as the story moves forward?

Mark Snow: I’d say, from the non-tonal ambient electronic stuff to when the orchestra starts to get busy, it’s not really thematic music. The scenes that had horrific visual effects were just pure sound design music. There’s actually a love story between two of the girls, and in that case I composed some melodic music but that was all done electronically, because it was small and intimate. But as the kids grow into their powers, then it becomes more melodic, more in—dare I say—the big orchestra style.

Q: What would you say was most challenging in creating this score and its duality between electronics and orchestra?

Mark Snow: I guess it would be to make the total effect of the score have a kind of composed-through quality. I didn’t want to have the music be divided into obvious ambient sound design electronics here, and then suddenly over here more of an action-hero orchestral element. It was important to try and make that crossover as seamless as possible.

Q: I think the cycle of superhero films over the last few years has changed from having the traditional idea of the bold, Superman-esque orchestral type of super hero music, which is great, but with new directors and new kinds of stories coming out that have a different take on the superhero mythos, they need perhaps darker and more aggressive kinds of musical treatments beyond what had been the traditional superhero movie music. Where do you think NEW MUTANTS fits into this?

Mark Snow: The superhero part of it really needed a bang in this movie. It needed a real punch, and more of that traditional superhero sound—up to a point—to support the action. There were moments where I combined the electronics with the orchestra, and some moments where it was just full-out orchestra by itself. Interestingly enough, at the very end of the movie there’s a five-minute cue where the demon bear attacks everyone. For that scene I submitted both an orchestral piece and then a pure electronic piece, to see which one they preferred, and they went for the electronic one. After all that fire and brimstone of the orchestra they wanted it to have a more subtle, resolved ending. So it became very ethereal and sweet, but not necessarily with obvious superhero theme.

Q: Any final thoughts? I know it’s been a couple of years since you scored the film and it’s release has been prolonged by a number of things. Where do you feel this fits in as a part of your current musical work?

Mark Snow: I thought all the horror music and the transition to the superhero material was more unusual. When it was just full-blast superhero music I knew it just couldn’t possibly be any other choice, but that contrast from the beginning to the end, as it morphs along, I thought that was what made the project most interesting to me.

Q: Are you still scoring BLUE BLOODS?

Mark Snow: Yeah. That show’s been picked up for year 11. Amazing! I would have to go there every week to go over the music with them, but now with the virus that’s it, I just send it in! It’s cool although I did like meeting up with them and everything.

Q: How did you originally come up with your musical palette for the series?

Mark Snow: I initially came up with a sound for the show that worked great. It could be almost Coplandesque, where you have a simple bed and over it a very nice trumpet melody that doesn’t sound corny. That was a really good sound for the show. But there’s action too, short transition cues—and quite a bit of emotional music with woodwinds and strings and ambient things for suspense and mystery. But it was that singular trumpet that became the sound of the show. Or, as they say, the “Blue Bloods’ Trumpet.”

Q: Was that a hybrid score or all “out of the box?”

Mark Snow: Actually it was all out of the box except for one score which had to do with the 9/11 memorial, where they went there and there was a funeral of two or three police officers and I convinced them to hire a live performer for that score. It was actually only an Irish pennywhistle, but I was able to bring in a musician who came in with fifteen pennywhistles of different sizes. I had the melody for him and we tried out different sounds on the different pennywhistles until he found the one we liked the best. That was great—just perfect. But that was it. We never used an orchestra or an ensemble—aside from some live guitars here and there but that was only for the action stuff.

Thanks to Mark Snow for taking time out to discuss THE NEW MUTANTS and BLUE BLOODS with me.
The digital soundtrack album for THE NEW MUTANTS has been released by Hollywood Records

• 2 Wochen später...

Dein Kommentar

Du kannst jetzt schreiben und Dich später registrieren. Wenn Du ein Konto hast, melde Dich jetzt an, um unter Deinem Benutzernamen zu schreiben.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Nur 75 Emojis sind erlaubt.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

Teilen

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Wir nutzen auf unserer Webseite Cookies, um Ihnen einen optimalen Service zu bieten. Wenn Sie weiter auf unserer Seite surfen, stimmen Sie der Cookie-Verwendung und der Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten über Formulare zu. Zu unserer Datenschutzerklärung: Datenschutzerklärung