Zum Inhalt springen
Soundtrack Board

Bear McCreary - The Last Voyage of the Demeter

Teilen

Empfohlene Beiträge

Thomas Newman vertont mal einen Horrorfilm und es geht um ein Kapitel aus dem legendären Roman "Dracula".

Zitat

Thomas Newman (American Beauty, The Shawshank Redemption, Finding Nemo, 1917, Skyfall, Wall-E) has been hired to score the upcoming horror movie The Last Voyage of the Demeter. The film is directed by André Øvredal (Scary Stories We Tell in the Dark, The Autopsy of Jane Doe) and stars Corey Hawkins, Aisling Franciosi, Liam Cunningham, David Dastmalchian, Jon Jon Briones, Stefan Kapicic, Nikolai Nikolaeff and Javier Botet. The Amblin Entertainment production is based on a single chapter (The Captain’s Log) from Bram Stoker’s classic novel Dracula and tells the story of the merchant ship Demeter, which was chartered to carry private cargo – fifty unmarked wooden crates – from Carpathia to London. Bragi F. Schut (Escape Room), Stefan Ruzowitzky (The Counterfeiters) and Zak Olkewicz (Bullet Train) wrote the screenplay. Brad Fischer (Zodiac, Suspiria) is producing the project for New Republic Pictures, alongside Mike Medavoy & Arnold Messer (Black Swan, Shutter Island) for Phoenix Pictures. The Last Voyage of the Demeter is set to be released in theaters nationwide on January 27, 2023 by Universal Pictures.

• 1 Jahr später...

Thomas Newman-Fans müssen aber nicht darben. Gerade letzte Woche kam erst sein Score zu Disneys Elemental raus. Den hat niemand hier bisher erwähnt. Ich auch nicht. Die Musik ist zwar auf meiner Playlist, aber wg. schönem Wetter und ziemlichem Newman-Desinteresse habe ich noch nicht reingehört. :) Wer mag, darf den Score gerne genauer in geeigneten Threads vorstellen. Bin gespannt.

image.thumb.jpeg.238e684155e70e86d6dd5d3dde526ed5.jpeg

• 1 Monat später...

Enttäuschend. Selbst auf der heute unglaublich kurzen Laufzeit von 34min!

0815 Horrorscore ohne irgendwelche Ambitionen. Da hätt ich jetzt doch mehr erwartet und frage mich, wie Newman überhaupt mal an Bord bei diesem Film war. Kritiken sind ja schauerlich und wenn die Macher sich nach Aussicht auf einen Newman Score mit so etwas Generischem zufrieden geben… seltsam…

Handwerker-Score, funktional, mehr auch nicht. Schade.

Stimme Dir zu. Der Score holt mich auch nicht ab. Ein paar Worte Werbe-Blah von Bear zum Score aktuell bei Randall Larson. ;) 

Zitat

THE LAST VOYAGE OF THE DEMETER (forthcoming August 10th): Based on a single chapter, the Captain's Log, from Bram Stoker's classic 1897 novel Dracula, the story is set aboard the Russian schooner Demeter, which was chartered to carry private cargo – twenty-four unmarked wooden crates – from Carpathia to London. The film will detail the strange events that befell the doomed crew as they attempt to survive the ocean voyage, stalked each night by a terrifying presence on board the ship.

Q: Without spoilers, what would you be able to tell us about scoring THE LAST VOYAGE OF THE DEMETER, which everyone who has read Dracula is probably looking forward to! 

Bear McCreary: To me, there's a rite of passage to write a theme for Dracula! In fact, I got to do that on DA VINCI'S DEMONS, speaking of fantasy. There was an episode where De Vinci encounters Vlad the Impaler, the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula, so I got to write a Bernard Herrmann-style theme there. But the cinema Dracula – that is a whole other opportunity! So, I leaped at the chance to collaborate with a director I admire, André Øvredal, and a film studio I admire, and be a part of telling this fascinating chapter in Dracula's story. The premise was super-exciting, and I was trying to find a balance between the traditional and a modern approach/I won't say it was easy – the ship in the movie is itself a character, and there's only so far into the modern era that you can take the score against that kind of classic imagery before you break the movie – you break the audience's trust with it. So, I needed to have a foot in both worlds.
You're going to hear hideously distorted orchestral instruments and solo instruments; you're going to hear an ominous choir, tipping a hat to the Coppola Dracula score and Jerry Goldsmith's Omen – that's a very traditional color, and a lot of folk instruments from the period – there's fiddle and nyckelharpa, and colors that belong on a sailing ship around the turn of the century. So hopefully, it all comes together into something that's unique. I think the movie is imaginative and scary. It is doing such a focused thing; it is not part of a cinematic universe, it's not setting up a billion sequels; it is wanting to take you on a ride and scare the hell out of you in this tight, claustrophobic location. For me, that was refreshing. There's something awesome about being able to commit to that; it reminds me of ALIEN and THE THING. When I was talking with the filmmakers, and I said that you could tell they felt that way, too. Those are the kind of movies that inspired this. So, it's exciting to see it come out. I'm so thrilled to be a part of it.

Quelle

Mag sein. Ich war aber schon nach den ersten Takten komplett raus. Das Thema ist so ein wortlos gestampftes "Dra-cu-la, Dra-cu-la". Manchmal klingt es arg nach Samples. Ein Schnellschuss halt. Häkchen dran. ;)

Ob Thomas Newman dafür je etwas geschrieben hat... Wer weiß? Wäre der anders als sein anderer Vampir-Score (The Lost Boys) geworden? Sehr wahrscheinlich.

Mag sein das der Score kein Meisterwerk ist aber so schlecht finde ich den jetzt nicht. Er ist deutliche melodischer und es bleibt mehr im Ohr als so mancher aktueller Score. Ich würde sogar sagen es einer der besseren Filmscore von McCreary. Lediglich der Angry Video Game Nerd Score war richtig gut. Seine Serienarbeiten sind ohne Zweifel erhaben.

Dein Kommentar

Du kannst jetzt schreiben und Dich später registrieren. Wenn Du ein Konto hast, melde Dich jetzt an, um unter Deinem Benutzernamen zu schreiben.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Nur 75 Emojis sind erlaubt.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

Teilen

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Wir nutzen auf unserer Webseite Cookies, um Ihnen einen optimalen Service zu bieten. Wenn Sie weiter auf unserer Seite surfen, stimmen Sie der Cookie-Verwendung und der Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten über Formulare zu. Zu unserer Datenschutzerklärung: Datenschutzerklärung