Zum Inhalt springen
Soundtrack Board

How to start writing for film?

Gast AndreasvanHaren
 Teilen

Empfohlene Beiträge

Gast AndreasvanHaren

I am thinking of getting my hands dirty on writing film music, but am wondering how to start with this. Of course I don't have a real film project going on, but would still like to try it. Any suggestions?

André

I am thinking of getting my hands dirty on writing film music, but am wondering how to start with this. Of course I don't have a real film project going on, but would still like to try it. Any suggestions?

André

Looking for free movie scenes without music (very rare I guess) or to render somewhat from dvd may be a good starting point. There are also some well known scenes without music but with ambient textures, like Star Wars Episode 6 (hunting scene in the woods), Saving Private Ryan (D-Day scene). Even some of the attack scenes in Pearl Harbor are completely without music, because Hans Zimmer decided to let the pictures speech for itself. Someone mentioned in another forum that Hitchcock's The Birds is completely without music, but I can't confirm cos it's some time ago as I saw the film.

Kai

Gast AndreasvanHaren

I found a scene in Psycho without any music, I ripped this scene (12) and imported it into Sibelius 4. I do own this dvd box so I'm not doing anything illegal... Just for the sake of studying. I will try to make some interesting music under it and will post it when it's finished. The scene is about 2 minutes long, not too long, but still enough work for a while.

André

I found a scene in Psycho without any music, I ripped this scene (12) and imported it into Sibelius 4. I do own this dvd box so I'm not doing anything illegal... Just for the sake of studying. I will try to make some interesting music under it and will post it when it's finished. The scene is about 2 minutes long, not too long, but still enough work for a while.

André

Yes, as long as you don't make something public out of the rip I don't see anything wrong with it. :rolleyes:

Where can I find that scene in Psycho? I have that dvd on my shelf too. Unfortunately I don't have The Birds. Something I have to get later.

Just out of interest, what orchestra libraries are you using?

Kai

Gast AndreasvanHaren
Yes, as long as you don't make something public out of the rip I don't see anything wrong with it. :rolleyes:

Where can I find that scene in Psycho? I have that dvd on my shelf too. Unfortunately I don't have The Birds. Something I have to get later.

Just out of interest, what orchestra libraries are you using?

Kai

Scène 12, it's says here. I use jam pack orchestra with GarageBand on my Mac. Plus lots of different soundfonts.

Gast AndreasvanHaren
Very interesting idea! But I don`t have a DVD of Psycho. :rolleyes: What is the Scene about?

In this scene, Norman just killed the woman in the shower (Scene 11). Now, he is putting her suitcase in the back of the car and drives her car in the lake behind the hotel. No music there, no dialog, only some sounds.

Hmm, "very realistic" - it is what it is, and it isn't the "real thing". But for some instruments samples work very well. I guess one would hear just slightly difference when it comes to percussion, but obvious with strings and woodwinds. Depending on their programming samples will sound pretty good.

VSL Special Edition or EWQLSO Gold (bundeled with the expansion) may be a very good starting point. That beeing said there are some options, like Sonivox, Kirk Hunter, Project SAM and others. Try to visit Bestservice.de and developer's websites for demos and prizes.

Gast AndreasvanHaren
Hmm, "very realistic" - it is what it is, and it isn't the "real thing". But for some instruments samples work very well. I guess one would hear just slightly difference when it comes to percussion, but obvious with strings and woodwinds. Depending on their programming samples will sound pretty good.

VSL Special Edition or EWQLSO Gold (bundeled with the expansion) may be a very good starting point. That beeing said there are some options, like Sonivox, Kirk Hunter, Project SAM and others. Try to visit Bestservice.de and developer's websites for demos and prizes.

Here is what I did with my "orchestra". I made it with Garageband.

Der Tantenmörder

• 3 Wochen später...

You could also download old films and work on them for a while:

"Internet Archive"

Should be totally legal and among them is stuff like "Nosferatu", a vampire silent film classic, some Charlie Chaplin flicks & "M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder", obviously licensed under a public domain Creative Commons license. Check it out. Might be interesting in general, not only if you wanna rape 'em musically - also if you just got a thang for such films ;).

Teilen

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Wir nutzen auf unserer Webseite Cookies, um Ihnen einen optimalen Service zu bieten. Wenn Sie weiter auf unserer Seite surfen, stimmen Sie der Cookie-Verwendung und der Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten über Formulare zu. Zu unserer Datenschutzerklärung: Datenschutzerklärung