Zum Inhalt springen
Soundtrack Board

FSM: LAND OF THE PHARAOHS - Dimitri Tiomkin

Teilen

Empfohlene Beiträge

Gleich ein Knaller für den Jahresbeginn von FSM.

Pharaoh Decrees: You Must Hear Land of the Pharaohs!

One of the greatest epic scores of the 1950s comes to CD in complete form: Dimitri Tiomkin's Land of the Pharaohs (1955), for Howard Hawks's mammoth spectacle set in ancient Egypt.

The composer, in a press interview at the time (transcribed to illustrate his Russian accent), explained the film's story:

"Pharaoh gung build pyramid. Needs harchitect. Harchitect say OK, I gung build pyramid... if you sat my pippel free. Lots pippel dyink, all over the picture... Pharaoh say OK, I sat your pippel free, you build nice cozy pyramid. Harchitect say OK... Pharaoh don't understand why big chariots all over the place. Pippel dyink. Harchitect a fine man. All this hoppen long time ago."

In addition, there is a delightfully campy romantic plot in which a sexpot princess (played by a young Joan Collins) acheives her quest to become Queen of Egypt -- but with a deliciously dark twist.

The film remains a curious blend of jaw-dropping spectacle and drawing-room scheming, with the international cast also including Jack Hawkins, Alexis Minotis, James Robertson Justice and Sydney Chaplin. Perhaps Hawks himself best summed up his creative dilemma in making the picture: "I don't know how a pharaoh talks."

But the music! Tiomkin:

"Why you think top producer spend more moneys on music for picture than for A picture? Music can help picture. I should know. I work mostly in medium mediocre pictures... I have spashil script. Not regular script. Spashil script. Script don't sayink 'Close-up on Tootsie' only, scripts I got sayink 'Close-up on Tootsie, she very sad.' That way, I can write the good music... Work to within third of second. Third of second important. Third of second enough time to go boom-de-boom. Boom-de-boom important sometimes."

Boom-de-boom only begins to describe the greatness of the Land of the Pharaohs soundtrack. Huge choral setpieces dominate the first half of the film, as the Egyptians perform songs to honor their dead and to accompany their decades-long endeavor to construct the great Pyramid; in the second, Tiomkin accompanies the romance and treachery of Collins's villainous princess including several action scenes.

But it is emblematic of Tiomkin that at the most unexpected moments -- such as the main title -- he goes "small" instead of big, with his beautiful melodies carried by solo instruments. In other scenes, Tiomkin seems to be setting a musical freight train underneath dialogue, churning with the emotional undercurrents of the drama.

The score to Land of the Pharaohs was conceived almost like that for a silent film, in that the music virtually never ceases. The complete score (presented over FSM's 2CD set, with alternate and additional selections closing disc 2) has been painstakingly assembled from the monaural mixdowns saved in the Warner Bros. vaults. (Although recorded in stereo, the score survives only in mono; however, the use of separate tracks for percussion, chorus and other solos has allowed several passages to be reconstructed in stereo -- including huge set pieces like "Pharaoh's Procession.")

All this hoppon long time ago!

• 2 Wochen später...

daß es hierzu noch keine weiteren kommentare gibt (nach über eine Woche) zeigt mal wieder das Interesse an "alter" Filmmusik...:dedektiv:

Dieser Score ist ein MUST HAVE !

die amerikanischen Labels übertreffen sich in den letzten Monaten wahrlich gegenseitig

mit einem Hammer nach dem anderen !

Gruss Ralf,

Genau da liegt im moment mein problem. Ich freue mich ja, dass dieser score rausgekommen ist aber... bei aller liebe zum klassiker... ich kann mir die CD einfach nicht mehr leisten und wenn ich dann daran denke, dass alleine von intrada 24 CDs bis zum sommer auf uns zu kommen... :dedektiv:

... Ich freue mich ja, dass dieser score rausgekommen ist aber... bei aller liebe zum klassiker... ich kann mir die CD einfach nicht mehr leisten ...

Da sprichst Du mir aus der Seele (und anderen wohl auch). Irgendwann ist Schluß mit lustig und die finanziellen Mittel sind dann leider ziemlich eingeschränkt. Und dann hält man sich lieber ein wenig zurück, als jede Veröffentlichung hochzuloben, sie nicht zu bestellen, aber irgendwo in den Tiefen des Internets nach einer RAR-Datei Ausschau zu halten.

Es ist Januar - prinzipiell immer ein Engpaß im Geldbeutel. Wer nicht mehr bei Mami und Papi wohnt weiß, was Sache ist. Fraglich, warum in dieser Zeit überhaupt etwas auf den Markt geworfen wird.

Dein Kommentar

Du kannst jetzt schreiben und Dich später registrieren. Wenn Du ein Konto hast, melde Dich jetzt an, um unter Deinem Benutzernamen zu schreiben.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Nur 75 Emojis sind erlaubt.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

Teilen

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Wir nutzen auf unserer Webseite Cookies, um Ihnen einen optimalen Service zu bieten. Wenn Sie weiter auf unserer Seite surfen, stimmen Sie der Cookie-Verwendung und der Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten über Formulare zu. Zu unserer Datenschutzerklärung: Datenschutzerklärung