Zum Inhalt springen
Soundtrack Board

Tribute Film Classics veröffentlicht Rerecording von Max Steiners SHE

Empfohlene Beiträge

Gerade frisch aus dem FSM Board:

MAX STEINERS SHE EXPLODES WITH ORCHESTRAL BRILLIANCE ON NEW CD

Tribute Film Classics offers the definitive restoration score for the 1935 fantasy adventure in a dazzling rerecording, including unused material and a deluxe booklet

Sherman Oaks, CA - June 24, 2008 - From the narrow recording range of mid-1930s technology and studio compromises, Max Steiners amazing music for She Who Must Be Obeyed finally explodes into restored orchestral brilliance in She, the latest CD from Tribute Film Classics.

The 1935 film, produced by Merian C. Cooper from the story by H. Rider Haggard, follows a group of Arctic explorers searching for the land of Kor and the legendary Flame of Life capable of granting immortality to whoever bathes in it. They are successful, but run afoul of the ageless, beautiful queen who desires one of them for her eternal lover. The film starred Randolph Scott, Helen Mack, and Nigel Bruce, and featured Helen Gahagan (in her only role) as She.

Despite lackluster box-office and negative reviews, one aspect of the film has always been revered Steiners magnificent score that is at-once powerful, mystical, and diversely colorful. Yet even that was compromised by a budget that saw his orchestra dwindled and musical passages truncated.

But with Tributes new rerecording using Steiners original pencil sketches, those problems have been eliminated and his work has at last been given the true opulence it deserves. With the addition of a female choir, the orchestra reached 60 players at times. The score restoration is by Tribute partners John Morgan, Anna Bonn and William T. Stromberg, who also conducts the Moscow Symphony Orchestra in an extremely rich and nuanced performance. With this release, She is finally getting the respect that has been denied her for over seventy years, Morgan said.

Stromberg said, Having been a major Max Steiner fan all of my life and having had the opportunity to conduct many of his complete early scores for RKO... producing and conducting this score for the film She was the rewarding experience I knew it would be.

With the months involved with this new recording, the main theme has become one of my personal favorites by Steiner," Bonn adds. I am very pleased to have been a part of maintaining this scores 'flame of life'.

Tribute launched its first two CDs last November with Bernard Herrmanns spectacularly colorful Mysterious Island and his beautifully moving Fahrenheit 451. Both discs were exceptionally well received by film-score fans and reviewers alike. She will undoubtedly find as warm a welcome.

Included in the CDs 32-page booklet is a note from special-effects giant Ray Harryhausen, a thorough history of the production by James V. DArc, and extensive cue-by-cue analysis by Ray Faiola. The booklet (with alluring, yet dynamic cover art) is designed by Jim Titus.

The expert production and exclusive distribution of Tribute score CDs is by Screen Archives Entertainment, located at www.screenarchives.com.

• 1 Monat später...
Was sagen denn unsere Golden-Agler dazu? Lohnt sich die Musik?

Denn ich finde, 19,95$ sind ein sehr fairer Preis!

Die Musik lohnt sich in jedem Fall, allerdings ist SHE nicht unbedingt ein Steiner für Einsteiger. Da sollte man erst mal zu den Klassikern greifen: TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE, THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON, DON JUAN, KING KONG, CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE, GWTW etc. ...

Die Einspielung von SHE hält übrigens das wirklich sehr gute Niveau der letzten Stromberg-Einspielungen, da sollte man keine Bedenken haben.

Die Musik lohnt sich in jedem Fall, allerdings ist SHE nicht unbedingt ein Steiner für Einsteiger. Da sollte man erst mal zu den Klassikern greifen: TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE, THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON, DON JUAN, KING KONG, CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE, GWTW etc. ...

Die Einspielung von SHE hält übrigens das wirklich sehr gute Niveau der letzten Stromberg-Einspielungen, da sollte man keine Bedenken haben.

und die fand ich schon nicht so toll----

Ach naja,

welche (Neu-)Einspielung ist schon perfekt? Da fallen mir nur wenige ein. Fest steht, dass die Moskauer Aufnahmen mittlerweile in jedem Fall mit den schottischen Varèse-Produktionen mithalten können und einem Großteil des Silva-Ausstoßes eindeutig überlegen sind.

Da kann man schon zufrieden sein, auch wenn manchmal ein wenig der Schmiss fehlt und manches nicht immer sauber disponiert ist.

Man sollte auch froh, sein, dass überhaupt noch Neueinspielungen stattfinden. Auch hier dürften die Kosten wie bei allem gestiegen sein.

Ich finde die Moskauer Aufnahmen durchweg gut bis sehr gut. Manchmal bin ich mit der Abmischung nicht immer einverstanden, wie z.B. bei Korngolds "Robin Hood", wo mir das Klangbild zu etwas zu trocken ist und manchmal ist der eingesetzte Chor klanglich wenig überzeugend wie in Red River mit den Knödeltenören oder am Ende der sonst überragenden und brillianten Sea-Hawk-Aufnahme. Aber das sind nur kleine Eintrübungen im Vergleich zum sonst so guten Eindruck der Leistungen.

Was SHE betrifft, so kenne ich den Score noch nicht, nur die Klangschnipsel bei SAE, und die machen Lust auf mehr. In einem anderen Forum, wo man auch anfänglich leichte Vorbehalte wegen eines vermeintlich "schwachen Steiners" hatte, wurde sich sehr lobend über die Musik geäußert, die sehr dicht und farbig sein soll. Den Eindruck hatte ich auch von den Clips. Aber ich gebe Jonas Recht: Eher nichts für Steiner-Einsteiger. Da sollte man lieber auf seine Tipps zurückgreifen.

Bearbeitet von Heiko Heinrichs

• 1 Monat später...
Gast Stefan Jania

Ich war eigentlich noch nie ein sonderlicher Steiner-Fan, aber habe mir die She-CD jetzt zusammen mit der neuen TFC-CD mit Herrmanns The Kentuckian und Williamsburg bestellt. Zum Spielen der Herrmann-CD komme ich nun aber gar nicht, weil der Steiner immer routiert. Was für eine tolle CD, was für eine tolle Musik, was für eine tolle Einspielung! Vielleicht weil irgendwie das fehlt, was mir an Steiner immer missfallen hat. Eine tolle Abenteuermusik, der man die 73 Jahre wirklich nicht anhört. Zur Einspielung: alle bisherigen Tribute-CDs klingen um Längen besser als die alten Marco Polo-CDs von Morgan/Stromberg. Sehr klar, sehr detailliert, sehr präzise, man badet praktisch im Orchester. Ich habe als Vergleich die Marco Polo-CD zu King Kong eingeworfen und war von der Akustik da dann doch vergleichsweise ziemlich enttäuscht. Für mich ist She eine der diesjährigen CD-Überraschungen überhaupt! :music:

Das kann ich für die bisherigen CDs von Tribute wortwörtlich unterschreiben. Sie haben im Gegensatz zu den alten Marco-Polo-Tagen den Recording Engineer ausgetauscht und sind jetzt noch näher dran am perfekten Sound. Sie vermitteln zwischen dem extrem dichten Golden-Age-Klang und dem authentischen Raumempfinden, das mit der CD möglich ist. Besonders hervorheben möchte ich die Einspielung zu "Fahrenheit 451", die in spiel- und tontechnischer Hinsicht absolute Creme de la Creme ist. Sauber, präzise, detailversessen, klangvoll, einfach ein Genuss. Ähnlich gut sind auch die anderen TFC-CDs.

Zur Musik von "She" muss man auch eine Empfehlung aussprechen. Sicher keine der ganz großen Scores des Golden Age (die beiden Hermann-Musiken würde ich ein kleines Stück (Mysterious Island) und ein gutes Stück (Fahrenheit) drüber stellen), aber eine wunderbar kraftvolle, elegante und eingängige Abenteuermusik. Ich bin mit Steiner auch nie zu hundert Prozent warm geworden, mit Ausnahme von "Mark Twain" und "They died with their boots on", hier funkt es aber mächtig. Unbedingte Empfehlung!

Grüße, Jan

Das finde ich, ist mal ein liebevoll produziertes Release. Tolle Aufmachung, interessante Texte (besonders Hintergrundinfos zur Neueinspielung) und gute Soundqualität. Das ganze nicht limitiert! Schön! So sollten meiner Meinung nach auch die Varese-Club CD´s gemacht sein, bei dem Preis!

• 2 Wochen später...
Gast Stefan Jania

Im Bernard Herrmann-Board hat Bill Wrobel ein interessantes Posting zu der Mitarbeit von Bernhard Kaun am Score geschrieben. Vielleicht ist ja das der Grund, warum ein Steiner-Score mir so gefällt: er stammt teilweise nicht von ihm. ;) Ist heute vielleicht müßig drüber zu reden, denn die Wahrheiten kommen eh nicht mehr ans Tageslicht. Siehe auch die kürzlichen Beiträge hier bei uns zu James Horners 1993'er-Scores.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was curious why the Tribute cd booklet for SHE did not address the important contribution of Bernhard Kaun in actually co-composing the movie. The only reference was on page 19: "The Main Title is one of the cues of SHE that was arranged by orchestrator Bernhard Kaun, based on Steiner's thematic material." Actually Kaun did far more than arrange Max's themes; he also composed cues for the movie not connected to Max's principal themes (or even fragmentary music). Herrmann collaborated with Alfred Newman on THE EGYPTIAN (and both got co-composer credit); Stromberg collaborated with Morgan in various scores (and get co-composer credit--although many times specific cues are not identified as to who was the composer!), so why not an official Steiner-Kaun co-composer credit? I suppose there were "political" and business reasons but personally I would feel a bit uneasy if someone helped me a lot on a score and I did not give him official credit. Royalty issues might also be involved as well.

As given by Janet Bradford in her essay written for the BYU cd booklet of the She original tracks, Bernhard Kaun wrote the sketches for the first three reels of the film from the “Main Title” to “Trek to Kor,” and also “The Terrace” cue. These sketches are in his handwriting, not Steiner’s. It would be a mistake to automatically assume that Kaun utilized the “thematic materials” of Max’s music for ALL of the cues that he—Kaun—wrote for the film. Several of the cues appear to be purely Kaun’s contribution with no themes supplied by Steiner. I will elaborate.

Of course the “Main Title”uses Max’s principal theme for the movie—the "She/Flame/Queen” theme. This nine-note theme is first heard in the Tribute cd track # 1 starting at 00:05. Kaun also uses it in the “Trek to Kor” track (#10 Tribute cd) from :52 thru 1:05. Even before that, Kaun used it in “The Cave” sketch (hear :44 thru 1:01 track # 8) played I believe by the oboe, reprised by the bassoon from 1:19 thru 1:33. Even before that, Kaun uses it in the “Uncle John’s Vision” cue (hear Tribute track # 2). Of course you first hear Max’s Flame/She/Queen motif first (his sketches) in “The Queen” cue (start of track # 12). Indeed you will see a photocopy reproduction of this sketch at the top of page 13 in the BYU cd booklet. Below that is Kaun’s sketch of the “Main Title.” Incidentally Max self-borrowed at least a portion of this theme in his 1952 score for Lion & the Horse in some of the heavier, dramatic portions of that later score.

Kaun’s music/sketches for “To the Northern Rim” (track # 3) and “The Barrier” (track # 4) appear to be pure Kaun (no thematic material from Max). The same bouncy motif is heard in both cues.

“At the Campfire” (track # 5) we hear the solo cello (I believe) definitely playing a theme composed by Max as given in the cue, “Tanya’s Unrest” (track # 13), where Max uses I believe the solo violin in the low register (starting 1:37 track # 13). Perhaps this should simply be called the Tanya Theme. Kaun uses this also in his sketch for “The Terrace” (track # 19) briefly from 2:42 thru 2:54 played by the oboe or english horn.

Now: From what I can tell, the exciting Kaun cue, “The Saber-Toothed Tiger.” Is pure Kaun. When I first heard it on television many years ago, I was very impressed by this atmospheric cue—and I never thought that it “sounded” like Steiner! Of course if people go by the sole “Max Steiner” credit in the opening titles, then they assume that he composed all of the music! So did I by default, although I felt uneasy about it—especially with this cue. It is so unlike Max’s general style, I felt.

Kaun’s cue for “The Cave” (Tribute track # 8), however, is quite a different story. As given, Kaun utilizes the Flame/She motif a few times, and also the Tanya Theme (or Tanya’s Unrest). On a side note, if you go to 1:43 in this track # 8 of “The Cave,” the music here reminds me of something John Williams could’ve wrote (stylistically the same) for his Star Wars score.

Kaun’s sketch music for “Avalanche” (excellently played in the Tribute track # 7) also appears to be pure Kaun. Like Max’s cue for “The Escape” (track # 23), it is an action cue that can be easily mistaken for Max’s music. The same applies for Kaun’s sketch for “Fight with the Natives” (track # 9). I did not hear any direct lifts in these two Kaun cues in any of the action cues by Max that I can initially detect. But Kaun did a good job following the action style of Max here. However, the very end of “Fight with the Natives” harkens really closely to Max’s fanfares (see track # 15).

I already discussed Kaun’s sketch for “Entrance of Billali/Trek to Kor.” Again the She/Flame theme is highlighted starting at :52. But you also hear the “Tanya” motif starting at :13 thru :29. The distinctive motif heard from 1:30 thru 1:41 (trumpets playing the six-note theme) and then at 2:04 by the woodwinds appears to be Kaun’s creation. So far I cannot find it in Max’s music.

The opening of Kaun’s “The Terrace” cue highlights another big theme composed by Max, a six-note theme I believed first heard in Max’s “Tanya in Bed” cue (starting 2:32 track # 12) and then heard in “Forgotten Place” (track # 17) at :44 thru 1:08, and so forth. From 2:19 thru 2:41 of this track/cue, the Flame/She theme is played I believe by the bass clarinet, then by the strings starting at 2:55. From 2:42 to 2:54, as mentioned earlier, you hear the Tanya’s Unrest motif.

“The Trial” cue (track # 16) is very interesting because the music from 2:20 thru 2:54 (when the native starts to get pushed into the flaming pit!) was later self-borrowed for Max’s score to I Was A Communist for the FBI—the actual Main Title! You hear this again in She in Kaun’s rendition (“The Terrace, track # 19) starting 7:02.

Steiner’s “Hall of the Kings Part II” (track # 21) reminds me a bit of Goldsmith’s style, percussion-wise.

You hear the Tanya Unrest music again in “The Escape” (track # 23) from :24 thru :27, and then 1:29-1:34. And you hear this theme at the beginning of “The Flame of Life” (track # 24). This music reminds me of a South Seas style of easy flow.

I really like the Finale section from 1:56 thru 2:11 that I don’t believe was used elsewhere in the score (either by Steiner or Kaun). Curious. That four-note motif is very beautiful.

At any rate, I highly recommend that you buy this Tribute cd. It "sounds" great, dynamically speaking.

;)

warlock.jpg

Warlock, Jerry Goldsmith

Dein Kommentar

Du kannst jetzt schreiben und Dich später registrieren. Wenn Du ein Konto hast, melde Dich jetzt an, um unter Deinem Benutzernamen zu schreiben.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Nur 75 Emojis sind erlaubt.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

Teilen

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Wir nutzen auf unserer Webseite Cookies, um Ihnen einen optimalen Service zu bieten. Wenn Sie weiter auf unserer Seite surfen, stimmen Sie der Cookie-Verwendung und der Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten über Formulare zu. Zu unserer Datenschutzerklärung: Datenschutzerklärung