Zum Inhalt springen
Soundtrack Board

Quartet Records: Henry Mancini - THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN

horner1980
 Teilen

Empfohlene Beiträge

the_pink_panther_strikes_again.jpg

Quartet Records and M.G.M. present the complete edition of Henry Mancini’s score for the fourth movie in the hilarious and famous Pink Panther saga, directed by Blake Edwards, with Peter Sellers as the clumsy Inspector Clouseau.

The Pink Panther Strikes Again is considered by many to be the funniest film of the series. Spectacle proved to be key for the film as United Artists gave it the international action flair afforded to their James Bond franchise. While Clouseau was as far from an employee of Her Majesty’s Secret Service as one could imagine, Edwards and his co-writer, Frank Waldman, gave their script a knowing spin on that popular series’ tropes. A now-insane ex-Chief Inspector Dreyfus (of course driven to distraction by Clouseau) takes up lodging at a henchman-filled castle, wherein he kidnaps a brilliant scientist and his daughter to build a gigantic matter-evaporating laser.

Although Strikes Again is far from the brilliant comedic glamour of the first Pink Panther movie – and from the still-charming The Return of the Pink Panther – there is no doubt that Mancini wrote here his best score for the series. The composer provides an impressive catalogue of the franchise’s quintessential style, including a memorable tune dedicated to Inspector Clouseau, German polkas and waltzes, French tangos, sophisticated suspense music (descended from the sound of other scores by the composer, such as Charade and Wait Until Dark) and action cues. Mancini also composed two lovely, original songs with lyrics by Don Black – one of them (“Come to Me”) is performed by Tom Jones with a vocal cameo by Peter Sellers. The “Main Title” sequence offers a new version of the Pink Panther Theme, interspersed with stunning arrangements by Mancini from such famous themes as Neal Hefti’s Batman, The Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain or Sweet Charity.

Music from The Pink Panther Strikes Again was released on LP in 1976 with 12 tracks, and reissued on CD in 2008 by Ryko with five bonus tracks, although the bonus material was in poor-sounding mono. But there was still much important material from this score to be released. For this complete edition, we have remixed the entire score from the 16-track masters recorded at C.T.S. Studios in London by John Richards, with amazingly clear and crystalline sound. As a result,  we’re able to offer this new version in full stereo –and can say that it sounds like it was recorded yesterday!

The lavish package includes a 24-page full-color booklet, with extensive liner notes by Daniel Schweiger. Limited edition of 1000 units.

01. How (0:52)

02. Main Titles (2:39)

03. The Inspector Clouseau Theme (3:25)

04. The Evil Theme (2:56)

05. The Great Quasimodo Disguise (3:40)##05 Pista 05 1

06. The Plan / The Snatch (2:14)##06 Pista 06

07. Until You Love Me Tango (2:44)

08. Until You Love Me (Vocal by Michael Robbins) (2:46)

09. The Gay Tango (1:20)

10. 6M2 (0:49)

11. Laughing and Scratching (0:42)

12. The Michigan Victors (0:34)

13. The Ending (2:20)

14. The Doomsday Machine (3:26)

15. 8M2 (1:11)

16. Taxi, Please! (0:21)

17. The German Carousel (2:14)

18. Waltzing in Munich (2:35)

19. Bier Fest Polka (2:45)

20. Along Came Omar (2:24)

21. Come To Me (Instrumental) (2:59)

22. Until You Love Me (Instrumental) (3:20)

23. Romantic Interlude (Come To Me) (2:15)

24. The Inspector Clouseau Theme (3.12)

25. Exodus From the Castle (3:54)

26. Come To Me (Vocal by Tom Jones, with vocal cameo by Peter Sellers) (4:40)

27. End Titles (1:51)

Bonus tracks

28. The Michigan Victors (Alternate) (0:19)

29. Until You Love Me (Alternate edit) (1:28)

30. Exodus From the Castle (Album Version) (3:09)

31. Come To Me (Instrumental) (4:40)

32. Organ Interlude by the Ex-Chief Inspector Dreyfus (0:36)

Total Disc Time: 74:19

Limited Collector’s Edition of 1000 units

Quelle: http://www.quartetrecords.com/the-pink-panther-strikes-again.html

• 3 Wochen später...
Gast Stefan Jania

Nach ein paar Postings bei FSM scheint es auch hier einen Masteringfehler zu geben. Die Musik von Track 4 beginnt am Ende von Track 3 und wird dann durch die Pause zwischen den Tracks unterbrochen. Mal abwarten, wie Quartet reagiert. Wäre die zweite Quartet-Panne in kurzer Zeit. Bei Michael Gore's Terms Of Endearment gab es ja kürzlich schon eine Austauschaktion.

Mal kurz Off-Topic unabhängig eines speziellen Labels:

Wenn nun betreffs eines Masteringfehlers eine Austauschaktion stattfindet: Kann man sich dann auch an den deutschen Händler wenden (sollte er Austausch-CDs erhalten), oder muss ich mich direkt ans Label wenden und die verschicken dann nach Deutschland?

Gast Stefan Jania

Quartet macht einen Austausch. Aus dem oben verlinkten FSM-Thread:

Sorry, but I've noticed about this today when I read the comments here, because nobody has written to us to complain or saying nothing about this, on the contrary, the customers seem very satisfied with this album.

I listened, and Mr. Crespo too, the master a million times before sending it to the plant, and we have worked very hard on this project. I just checked back my CD testing copy and all is correct. Something must have happened with the final DDP sent to the plant, which has moved the first six seconds of the track 4 at the end of track 3 (something, moreover, that happens in many CDs. At least on my classical and opera collection that happens sometimes).

After receiving the CD, I've heard it several times on Christmas, and I have not noticed this, since there is no fault on the music, sound or mastering, only one index with six seconds of delay, not broken with a drop or something, only a change of index. It's not the end of the world!

Anyway, although it is a very minor fault and the small profit of this expensive release has been gone with this, of course we're going to make replacement copies. Personally, I have a special love for this project and I want everything to be right. First, we need to discuss with all retails how to handle this, so please be patient until the new CD are ready. This will take between 3 and 5 weeks.

Later this week, we come back here to explain how to receive your replacement disc, so please don’t torture the retails, because they still know nothing of how we will do this, although it will be something similar to what we did with “Terms of Endearment” some months ago.

Meanwhile, you can enjoy the CD with this Mancini masterpiece, whose sound is absolutely amazing.

Thanks,
Jose

Gast Stefan Jania

Update von Quartet.

OK, the new CD master are on the plant right now. This will take 2-3 weeks to arrive.

- All customers who have purchased the CD on our website don’t need to write us again, within 3-4 weeks we send directly the replacement copy.

- If you have purchased the album on another retail, please ask them first. It would be the most common and fair that they want to send you the replacement with your next order (please understand this, is not their fault). Please, ask them before, and if they can’t send you the CD, or you don't want to wait, then write to us to the following email orders(at)quartetrecords(dot)com, and we will be glad to send you the CD.

Although, if you can wait until your next order with them, we are very grateful, the mistake was very small and not our complete fault, and we've already lost a lot of money with this.

The retails will not receive the CDs within 2-3 weeks too, so please be patient.

Thanks,
Jose

Und anscheinend waren die ersten Berichte bei FSM etwas überzogen. Der einzige Fehler ist, dass der Index zu Track 4 einige Sekunden zu spät gesetzt ist. Somit hängt am Ende von Track 3 schon der Anfang von Track 4. Aber zwischen Track 3 und Track 4 gibt es keinen hörbaren Bruch.

• 3 Jahre später...

Dein Kommentar

Du kannst jetzt schreiben und Dich später registrieren. Wenn Du ein Konto hast, melde Dich jetzt an, um unter Deinem Benutzernamen zu schreiben.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Nur 75 Emojis sind erlaubt.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

Teilen

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Wir nutzen auf unserer Webseite Cookies, um Ihnen einen optimalen Service zu bieten. Wenn Sie weiter auf unserer Seite surfen, stimmen Sie der Cookie-Verwendung und der Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten über Formulare zu. Zu unserer Datenschutzerklärung: Datenschutzerklärung