Zum Inhalt springen
Soundtrack Board

Theodore Shapiro vertont "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"

Siddl
 Teilen

Empfohlene Beiträge

Hier ein aktueller Trailer des neusten Filmes von und mit Ben Stiller:

Wie schon bei TROPIC THUNDER, hat sich Stiller auf Shapiro geeinigt und im Moment sind die Vorbereitungen für die Aufnahmesessions im Gange.

Eine Veröffentlichung der Musik wird es laut Theodore auch definitiv geben!

(Ich werde am Wochenende mit ihm sprechen; wer Fragen hat, auch speziell zu diesem Film/Score, raus damit :))

Eine Veröffentlichung der Musik wird es laut Theodore auch definitiv geben!

Sicher? Wer bringt das - jenseits von einem reinen Download - als CD raus?

(Ich werde am Wochenende mit ihm sprechen; wer Fragen hat, auch speziell zu diesem Film/Score, raus damit :))

Ich will seinen HEIST auf CD haben. Pronto! Eigentlich: gestern! Geht da was? Und wenn nicht, warum nicht?

Hier ein paar bereits beantwortete Fragen. Die Frage nach HEIST werde ich auf jeden Fall noch stellen ;)

1.) You recently scored WALTER MITTY. What can we expect from the score? Can you talk about if there are themes in it; what kind of orchestra you used?
The character of Walter Mitty lives a highly regimented life, but is a dreamer with a wild imagination.  At a certain point in the film he goes on an epic journey in which he starts living the adventures previously relegated to his imagination.  Early on Ben and I seized upon the idea of using a voice as the featured instrument of the score-- a voice that would in some way Walter and his inner desire to break out of his hermetic existence.  So the score features the voice and nylon guitar of the wonderful singer-songwriter José Gonzalez, and his voice in particular is the element that carries you through.

There are several thematic ideas in the score, most significantly a central "Walter" theme that runs through the score from beginning to end.

I also use the sound of a pocket watch throughout the score, and Mel Wesson created ambient music design based on the pocket watch.  So you have this sense of the strict regimentation of a ticking watch getting wildly transformed, much as the ideas in Walter's head.

Overall this is a distinctly hybrid approach-- orchestra, José, rhythm section, and electronics are all key elements.

2.) How come you did record most of your recent scores in New York, Seattle and not in LA? Scoring in Hollywood seemed to be a big topic recently...
This film received post-production tax credits to do all its post work in New York.  These are very large amounts of money that studios are getting paid to bring the work, including scoring, to New York.  It is not a matter of choice.  This is the same reason I've done a number other recent projects outside of LA.  But to correct the record, I haven't done anything in Seattle recently.

3.) How well can you communitcate with someone like Ben Stiller? Is he taking time for notes on your score or is he just OK with everything you do?
The collaboration with Ben has been one of the best experiences I've ever had.  That doesn't mean that he is just okay with everything I do.  We've had a long and intense exchange of ideas about the music and I think it's safe to say we're both extremely pleased with the result.

4.) I personally love it when you use the kind of synthesizers etc. that Ludwig also uses now on Community. Will we hear more of that in the future or are going back to your orchestral roots?

There are a ton of electronics in this score.  I'm not sure it's anything like what Ludwig is doing in Community but it is absolutely a hybrid score.

5.) Did you play in any bands back in the days when you started your musical career? Would you be interesed in some projects outside of filmmusic?

I played in a pretty good band in college called God.  We thought we were very clever.

6.) How important are your orchestrations to you? You once told me that you try to make everything very clear in your mock-ups in DP. How are you communicating with your orchestrators?

Extremely important.  I do very detailed mock-ups and try to do as complete an arrangement as possible in DP.  And that said, John Ashton Thomas did an outstanding job of orchestrating this score.  We communicated frequently about the material.  We had discussions about using intimate string complements, but he made great choices about only using a certain number of desks of strings, for example, in various spots, that provided exactly the size and intimacy I was looking for.  He is also not shy about adding ideas and doubling to the score, and the ideas are almost always great.

Was ist denn mit "The Heist"?

Es geht nur um HEIST, nix mit "The" :D Das ist ein Film von David Mamet und mit Gene Hackman, den ich ich echt gern habe. Großartger Filmanfang, auch:

Shapiros Soundtrack ist echt fein, kursiert aber bislang nur als schrottiges Bootleg durchs Net. Den hätte ich gern in richtig ;)

• 3 Monate später...
  • 2 Wochen später...

Das sind aber nur jeweils kurze Ausschnitte aus allen Tracks. Aber immerhin insgesamt fast 22 Minuten. 

Klingt sehr zerfahren und unzusammenhängend, das Ganze. Viele Ideen, kein roter Faden. 

Klingt sehr zerfahren und unzusammenhängend, das Ganze. Viele Ideen, kein roter Faden. 

Tja, das kann man alles so oder so sehen oder benennen: Einer sagt "unzusammenhängend", ein anderer "abwechslungsreich". In der Komplett-CD-Version ist das sehr reizvoll, aber erwartungsgemäss sprunghaft - den träumerischen bis melancholischen Instrumental-Passagen stehen hier recht krachige action cues gegenüber, die so klingen, als habe man aus Versehen auf Radio RCP gezappt. Wer auf diese Brüche verzichten will, wird etwas programmieren müssen. Für mich aber eine der interessanteren Veröffentlichungen des Jahres.

Dein Kommentar

Du kannst jetzt schreiben und Dich später registrieren. Wenn Du ein Konto hast, melde Dich jetzt an, um unter Deinem Benutzernamen zu schreiben.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Nur 75 Emojis sind erlaubt.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

Teilen

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Wir nutzen auf unserer Webseite Cookies, um Ihnen einen optimalen Service zu bieten. Wenn Sie weiter auf unserer Seite surfen, stimmen Sie der Cookie-Verwendung und der Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten über Formulare zu. Zu unserer Datenschutzerklärung: Datenschutzerklärung