Zum Inhalt springen
Soundtrack Board

Varèse Sarabande: SPARTACUS - Alex North

Empfohlene Beiträge

Hier noch ein Kommentar von Robert Kraft zu Robert Townson und seiner 1000. Veröffentlichung:

ROBERT TOWNSON TURNS 1000

or

WHAT ABOOT BOB?

by

Richard Kraft

Robert Townson has just had has 1000th release. This is a perfect opportunity to share a few thoughts about this extraordinary friend of film music.

It turns out that Bob Townson has created roughly16 feet of soundtracks. Stacked on top of each other, his 1000 CDs are almost three-times as tall as Michael Jordan or 1/50th the height of the Empire State Building.

Any way you measure: Thats a lot of CDs.

And more importantly, thats a lot of great film music.

It would take over a year to listen to all of those scores if we listened 24/7 (which many of us Soundtrack Nerds probably do!). And in that year we would be listening to the works of everyone from Alfi Kabiljo to Paul Zaza with a lot of Barry, Conti, Delerue, Elfman, Friedhoffer, Goldsmith, Herrmann , Isham, Jarre, Kamen, Legrand, Mancini, Newman (Alfred, David, Lionel, Randy and Thomas), Ortolani, Poledouris, Queen, Rozsa, Steiner, Tiompkin, Urata, Vangelis, Waxman and Young (both Victor and Christopher) in between.

While we all have our favorite Townson releases, very few of us know that much about the man behind the music.

Much of Bobs mystique has to do with the fact that he is very much a behind the scenes kind of guy, making the music the star, not himself. Much has to do with the fact that he is painfully modest by nature (Who is that quiet lad at the back of the scoring session?). And at least a dollop of it has to do with him being typically unimposingly Canadian (Excuse me, sorry, was I breathing too loudly?)

I remember when Robert Townson first showed up on my radar. I was at Varese-Sarabande doing what would become his job: deciding on releases, negotiating deals, producing tracks, sequencing albums, designing artwork, and answering angry fan mail. Varese was working with Bob in releasing his Masters Film Music titles. I remember for someone with so much knowledge and business acumen he was ridiculously young. If memory serves me correctly he was a fetus at the time.

Around 1990 I was looking for someone to rope into putting out two volumes of Jerry Goldsmiths obscure LIONHEAT (partially because I loved Jerrys music and mainly because I was marrying the films post-production supervisor). Somehow snookered into this financially risky proposition, Bob spent a lot less time worrying about the deal and a lot more time caring about preserving Jerrys triumphant score. I knew in that moment I had made a friend for life.

Whilst working at Varese I was also moonlighting as Danny Elfmans agent. With the massive success of BATMAN came the irresistible call of becoming a real-life, full-time talent agent (Jerry Goldsmith became my second client; thank god for LIONHEART!). Not wanting to leave Varese high-and-dry, I desperately sought out to find my replacement.

Clearly no one on Earth was more qualified to take over than Robert Townson. He ADORED film music. He was an obsessive workaholic. And he was willing to work in the sub-squalor workspace that was Vareses offices at that time.

Bob moved to California to seek his fame and fortune and found them both at a really ragged industrial park deep in the pits of the San Fernando Valley in an un-air-conditioned warehouse hidden next to an oxygen supply company.

It was in under these sweltering conditions that Bob managed to form extraordinary alliances with every major film studio and every major film composer. Week after week, month after month, year after year, Bob has put out an amazing range of film music. One by one he faced an onslaught of copycat competitors (anyone remember Virgin Movie Music, Big Screen, Bay Cities?). By being honest, fair, reasonable and a bunch of other uniquely Canadian virtues, Bob just kept rolling along. And like Old Man River, cockroaches and Cher, he out-lived them all.

Based on his extraordinary good taste, great relationships and extraordinary work ethic, Bob lead Varese out of the broiling wasteland of Van Nuys into the semi-comforts of Studio City. And along the way he and owner Chris Kuchler built Varese-Sarabande into the most successful soundtrack label in history.

He has been the champion of dozens of new composers (you arent really anyone in the biz until you have a CD with your name imprinted on their crimson spine). He has been the tireless warrior for a mind-numbing number of soundtrack preservations of film musics giants (almost 80 Goldsmith scores, 30 by Bernstein). He has restored scores, promoted concerts and organized festivals. Over the last twenty years Bob has truly become the worlds leader in movie music. Lets face it, who else but a demented crusader would have whipped-up the fever-dream mega-box release of SPARTACUS?

Unfortunately, the work of the modest rarely gets its due recognition (something glory whores like myself know nothing about). If one were to read the blathering on the Internet fan sites one would imagine Bob as a callus fat cat record mogul wheeling and dealing while sniffing cocaine off the butts off adoring groupies. Shockingly, most of those images are unfounded. Bob is to fat cats as Ichabod Crane is to Jabba the Hut. Bob lives modestly in an apartment packed with CD and covered floor to ceiling with original Bob and Matthew Peak paintings. To be honest, Im not even sure he drinks Coke, yet alone has wild orgies with his fans (which considering the look of a typical Soundtrack Nerd, present company included, is something for which we should all be grateful).

In many ways Bob is the Great Success Story. The guy who followed his passion and ended up carving out a career doing the very thing he would do for free.

After all these years and piles of releases, Bob still remains a fan. On the eve of the announcement of each of his legendary Soundtrack Club releases he calls to rejoice in giddy anticipation. Okay, to be honest, I am the giddy one; hes the one who actually had to figure out how to put out THE GOONIES.

Bob really has retained his passion for producing great soundtracks despite that inevitable cold slap of reality from a small-but-tediously-vocal faction of the jaded internet mob: Thanks for putting out so-and-so, but what about the score to my favorite obscure direct-to-cable Scandinavian short subject? I hate golden age/silver age/plastic age scores. Your releases are too long/too short/too round. Its been 16 minutes since I ordered, why hasnt it arrived yet? Why dont you put out your soundtracks for free AND do my laundry?

The thing about (or, in his native tongue, aboot) Bob is that he doesnt do any of this for the money (thank god anyone want to buy a stack of EIGHT HEADS IN A DUFFLE BAG CDs?) or for the fame (Who wants to listen to a bunch of boring background music with no singing?) or glory (again, anyone in the market for those DUFFLE BAG CDs?).

Bob does this for the music. For those glorious few moments of inspiration that somehow pour out of a film composers creative mind in the middle of the night when struggling against a deadline to get his or her latest score finished against the pressures of time, money and temp tracks. Those magical Main Titles and 3M4s and Final Confrontations that indelibly touch our hearts, pump our pulses and expand our imaginations.

Very few of us have done 1000 of anything (besides eating Big Macs or coming up with lame excuses for not doing anything). Yet Bob has gone to the well a thousand times. And more often than not, he has brought us refreshing and rejuvenating water to quench our collective thirst for inspiring movie music.

Thank you, Bob, for those thousand.

• 4 Wochen später...
Colosseum hat die Box gerade versendet. Wie schön, heute ist der letzte Arbeitstag vor meinem Urlaub, so kann ich mich ab Morgen in aller Ruhe durch die CDs hören. :music:

Und schon mal die Box durchgehört? Kannst Du vieleicht mal was zur Soundqualität sagen und zur optischen Aufmachung der Box?

Na, da scheinen sie sich aber doch ziemlich viel Mühe gemacht zu haben. Erinnert ja ein bisschen an die Goldsmith-Box :music:

Allerdings scheint mir diese Ausgabe nicht alle alternativen Stücke zu enthalten, oder? War die LP-Version zu "Spartacus" damals eigentlich auch eine Neuaufnahme? Dann wäre die ja auch nicht in der Box.

Gast Stefan Jania
Diese spartacus love theme and variations disc scheint mir ziemlich unnötig zu sein und die hätte man auch besser als eigenständige cd veröffentlichen sollen.

Da die Love Theme-Doppel-CD eine normale Bestellnummer hat (302 067 031 2), ist davon auszugehen, dass diese irgendwann auch einzeln erscheint. Auch die DVD hat eine eigene Bestellnummer (302 067 038 2). Nur die Box mit den 4 CDs hat eine Club-Bestellnummer (VCL 0610 1109).

Aha.

Leider löst das nicht das problem, dass viele einfach nur den score ohne diese compilation und die dvd haben wollen. Bringt mir nichts, dass townson die compilation auch einzeln verscherbeln kann sobald die box oop ist wenn ich für den score nach wie vor die ganze box bezahlen muss. Der score hat ja keine eigene bestellnummer, oder?

Gast Stefan Jania
Und schon mal die Box durchgehört? Kannst Du vieleicht mal was zur Soundqualität sagen und zur optischen Aufmachung der Box?

Ich antworte nochmal, da ich gerade meine alte Spartacus-CD (die englische Filmtrax MODEM CD1012) mit der neuen Stereo-Varèse-CD verglichen habe. Im Vergleich waren also zwei auf einer HiFi-Anlage gehörte Original-CDs, nicht irgendwelche extremst verlustreduzierten Dateien. :music: Der Unterschied ist schon beachtlich. Die Varèse klingt sehr viel klarer und dynamischer. Für 50 Jahre alte Aufnahmen wirklich toll!

Gast Stefan Jania

Nachdem ich jetzt die Score-CDs durchhabe, ein paar klangliche Eindrücke. Die Stereo-CD ist wirklich klanglich top und meiner alten CD um Welten überlegen. Die beiden Mono-CDs mit dem Filmscore klingen auch sehr gut. Der künstliche Hall zum Aufpeppen des Monosounds hält sich in absolut tolerablen Grenzen (obwohl mir hier eine furztrockene Monofassung lieber gewesen wäre) und das Hören macht wirklich Spaß. Die vierte CD liegt klanglich etwas hinter CD 2 und CD 3 zurück. Sie klingt teilweise etwas übersteuert, ist aber trotzdem durchweg gut. Im ganzen: klanglich kann man an dem Set wirklich nichts aussetzen.

Ich werde mich demnächst durch die "Love Theme And Variations" CDs quälen. Habe bisher nur Ishams Beitrag gehört. Typisch Isham, aber mit seinen über 11 Minuten hat er meine Geduld doch arg strapaziert. :music:

Wirklich klasse ist übrigens das 160+ Seiten dicke Hardcover-Buch. Toll gebunden, qualitativ sehr gut verarbeitet, brilliantes Fotomaterial, hochinformativer Text.

Das liest sich doch alles super! Jetzt noch ein Sechser im Lotto und das Ding steht bei mir im Regal :music: Schön auch zu lesen, dass das Booklet einen informativen Text enthält. Da war Varèse ja sonst immer etwas sparsam mit interessanten Infos...aber selten mit Eigenlob oder Lobhudelei.

Gast Stefan Jania
Das liest sich doch alles super! Jetzt noch ein Sechser im Lotto und das Ding steht bei mir im Regal :music:

Och, da muss man keinen Sechser im Lotto für haben. :D Ich persönlich kaufe mir eben nicht mehr jedes Re-Issue, nur weil 10 Minuten mehr Musik drauf sind oder es 'nen Hauch besser klingen soll. Da bleibt weitaus mehr Geld übrig für solche Leckerli der Filmmusik-Geschichte. :P

Gast Stefan Jania

So, jetzt habe ich die DVD doch durch. Wollte sie eigentlich nur kurz reinwerfen und bin irgendwie hängengeblieben, was auch an John Williams' sehr eloquenter Art liegt. :D Die DVD ist absolut nicht chaotisch, wie viele hier im Vorfeld angenommen haben. Jeder Komponist sitzt einzeln vor der Kamera vor schwarzem Hintergrund und erzählt. Keine Zwischenfragen, nur Erzählungen. Ist manchmal sogar sehr fesselnd zuzuhören - insbesondere John Williams, der North von allen am längsten kannte, und David Newman, der ua. von einem Filmmusik-Konzert des Sundance Institutes in den späten 80'ern erzählt, bei dem Norths Spartacus gespielt wurde und North, der anwesend war, völlig überrascht von dem tobenden Applaus war. Auch Bob Towson selber ist wesentlich ruhiger, als er in den Audiointerviews immer gewirkt hat und sein "you know" ist auffallend seltener geworden. :music: Strukturiert ist die DVD nach unterschiedlichen Themen, zu den passende Teile der Erzählungen zusammengefasst wurden:

• Introducing Alex North
  • Meeting Alex North
  • Alex North: A New Musical Voice
  • Introducing Spartacus: The Score
  • Spartacus And Alex North
  • The Opening Title Sequence
  • The Love Theme
  • Love Theme And Variations
  • The Versatility Of Alex North
  • The Legacy Of Alex North
  • Celebrating Alex North
  • In Closing

Diese "Erzählungen" dauern 96 Minuten. Es gibt keinerlei Musik (außer zu Beginn und am Ende), keine Bilder, keine Filmschnipsel oder sonstiges. Die vermisst man auch nur selten (zum Beispiel im Kapitel über die Titelsequenz).

Als Bonus gibt es Mark Isham im Studio bei Vorgesprächen zu den Aufnahmen seiner Version, ein Musik-Video der Navarro-Version und ein Interview mit Navarro, alle jeweils rund vier Minuten lang. Untertitel gibt es auf Wunsch nur in spanisch.

Fazit: hat mir sehr gefallen!

Wirklich klasse ist übrigens das 160+ Seiten dicke Hardcover-Buch. Toll gebunden, qualitativ sehr gut verarbeitet, brilliantes Fotomaterial, hochinformativer Text.

Schön zu hören, dass das Buch ansprechend gestaltet ist.

Der Rest des Sets sieht in meinen Augen, nur von den bislang geposteten Fotos ausgehend, leider sehr lieblos zusammengeschustert aus. Hingeklatscht. Das ist bei Varèse nach meinem Eindruck die Regel. Schon unglaublich, dass Varèse selbst bei einem solch außerirdischen Preis nicht endlich mal einen professionellen Art Director engagiert hat.

Dein Kommentar

Du kannst jetzt schreiben und Dich später registrieren. Wenn Du ein Konto hast, melde Dich jetzt an, um unter Deinem Benutzernamen zu schreiben.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Nur 75 Emojis sind erlaubt.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

Teilen

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Wir nutzen auf unserer Webseite Cookies, um Ihnen einen optimalen Service zu bieten. Wenn Sie weiter auf unserer Seite surfen, stimmen Sie der Cookie-Verwendung und der Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten über Formulare zu. Zu unserer Datenschutzerklärung: Datenschutzerklärung