Zum Inhalt springen
Soundtrack Board

THE TIM BURTON & DANNY ELFMAN 25th ANNIVERSARY BOX

Empfohlene Beiträge

das is echt nen grosser unterschied, wie wo stornier ich denn bei warner?

Schickste ne Email mit Angabe der Bestellnummer und dass Du stornieren möchtest an diese addy: wbr@b3custserv.com

Ich habe allerdings für die Stornierung nie eine Bestätigung bekommen. Aber auf deiner Bestellungsseite (Link in der WBs Bestellbestätigung) steht dann unter Status: Cancelled.

Bei SPARTACUS (120 Dollar) wird gemeckert und gebasht, was das Zeug hält und hier (500 Dollar!) haben wir überwiegend positive Reaktionen und überdies schon eine handvoll Leute, die sich das Ding sofort bestellt haben - obwohl das SPARTACUS-Set diese Box hier in Sachen Mehrwert locker in den Schatten stellt. So viel zum Thema Sachlichkeit.

$30,- pro CD und sonst sind'se immer alle am Heulen.

Obwohl, scheinbar gab's Weihnachtsgeld, was dringend wieder weg muß. :(

Ich bin ja mal gespannt, wieviele von den angeblichen Käufern hier hinterher auch fleissig Fotos von ihrem Schätzchen machen, denn auf so etwas ist man doch garantiert stolz und möchte es allen zeigen.

Vermutlich wird ein einziger Fotos machen KÖNNEN. :)

(ja ja ja, gleich kommt wieder der Schuß aus dem Ruhrpott ... ich weiß, ich weiß, ich weiß ...)

$30,- pro CD und sonst sind'se immer alle am Heulen.

Nicht ganz, ein Buch, eine DVD und eine Spieluhrbox sind ja auch noch dabei. Ich habe sie jetzt auch mal bestellt, mal sehen, wann sie eintrifft, denn um Neujahr herum dürfte alles noch mal etwas länger dauern.

Gast Stefan Jania

The Tim Burton Collective posted an interview with Danny Elfman by Gina McIntyre:

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Elfman Interview: Burton 'Opened Every Door For Me'

Gina McIntyre of the Los Angeles Times' "Hero Complex" had an interview with Danny Elfman. In it, the composer discussed the collector's boxed set which chronicles his massive history of collaborations with Tim Burton, how working with Burton had had an impact on his career, what was particularly embarrassing to rediscover (and make available) when making this boxed set, and much more:

GM: How did this project originate?

DE: Its so far out of my realm of what I know, collectors things like this. Ive never owned one. Its been a whole kind of learning experience. Richard Kraft, my agent, this is really his baby. I tried to explain that in the opening letter [included in the collection]: This isnt the project of an agent doing something for his client, this is the product of a major film-music geek who lives for this kind of thing. We had many discussions. I was really resistant to putting on certain kinds of material I thought was private and trying to understand who it is that buys these things and what theyre like, slowly trying to get an understanding of the kind of person who really looks for the odd, the rare, the unreleased. I thought, what if Bernard Herrmann had done half a dozen more movies with Hitchcock over another 10 years. Hes the only composer out there that I would probably get a little nutty over. His career with Hitchcock I think of as this great collaboration, but it wasnt that long. Then not only would I want the box set, I would want anything if he sang into a tape recorder, Id want it. Id want everything. Using that as a model, I started finally to [think], I should let some of this stuff go, even though its embarrassing.

GM: How involved were you in the process of assembling the set? What embarrassed you exactly?

DE: They came to me with the idea. I just imagined it would be a collection of CDs. Only a couple of months ago really did [Richard] arrive, saying, we have our deadlines. I thought, oh my God, I have to edit and master 16 CDs. It was a huge amount of work. Its really a good thing I didnt think about what it would involve [beforehand]. Everything anybody approaches me about thats an extra anything, I go, I dont have time, I dont have time. I found myself in the middle of this huge thing. Richard and one of my assistants, they spent months combing through boxes and storage rooms. I write about this in the project. Its very bizarre. Theres not a single thing Ive collected over my entire lifetime that I havent saved things that I shouldnt, artifacts, things that Ive come across but Ive never, ever saved a piece of music. Everything got thrown into trash bags and boxes and only because I think various assistants or housekeepers were afraid to throw it away because I never gave any instructions about anything it got dumped into storage rooms. I think I have seven storage rooms, none of which Ive ever gone into. They just sifted through box after box.

In between an old box of unplayable synthesizer parts and old toys and books, there would be a box of cassettes, unmarked. They spent months sifting through hundreds and hundreds of hours of old audio cassettes and DAT tapes. When they finally came to me a couple of months ago, it was like, Alright, weve sifted through this stuff, but now, youve got to listen to everything. Then there was the incredible experience of listening to 25 years worth of work, both released and unreleased.

When I was talking about the embarrassing part my demos. I never expected one of my synth demos of a piece of music would ever be for anybodys ears. There are two levels; theres one I call a work tape, which is me working stuff out. Work tape is getting to the point where Id even play it for Tim. That was very strange. Im not a composer that puts a lot of polish work into their demos. Im probably in the minority that doesnt invest in really extensive libraries of stuff and/or have people that work with them just for that purpose of polishing up and making these demos really spiffy. Every demo, every work tape is my own hand. There are mistakes, bad notes, bad playing, and probably the most embarrassing thing is the early synth sounds back in the mid-80s were really bad. By todays standards, it would be like what you hear in a kids keyboard. In the middle 80s, thats kind of what there was. Its embarrassing because everythings of my own hand, and Im not a great keyboardist, and the earlier they are, the more embarrassing they are.

GM: Are some things more embarrassing for you than others?

DE: The demo for Batman is an incredibly embarrassing thing. It wasnt until the mid-90s that suddenly these demos are becoming less cringe-worthy for me, somewhere between the middle 90s and 2000. The sounds just got better. In my opening letter, I try to say, you know how we look at old science-fiction movies with really cheesy special effects and go, well, thats what they had. You cant compare that to today. Its the same with these. In the middle 80s through the early 90s, the sounds that we had to work with were what they were. You didnt think about it at the time. Its incredible for me to think now, this is a demo that I actually played for Jon Peters and Tim Burton to sell the Batman theme in 1989. Now it sounds so horribly bad, if you put it on, somebody would laugh. But at the time, everything kind of sounded like that. It was a lot better than banging on a piano and singing them a melody, which before that period, thats really what you did. For Pee-wees Big Adventure, thats what I did. I vowed I would never, ever do that again. I quickly embraced the technology to work up pieces of music to sound listenable. I had one of the very first Macs ever, a very primitive version of what I have now, but the sounds available were very minimal. I remember I had a little box and it had strings long, strings short [laughs]. Thats it. Two string choices. Trumpets, French horns, trombones one, one choice of each and sometimes it was hard to tell the difference between the French horn and the trumpet because they all sound like car horns at a certain point. It was still, for a director, a lot better for them to understand what Im doing than playing on a piano and trying to sing a melody.

Ive always been a big proponent of working out my ideas that way so I can hear what Im doing and what Im playing [for the director] is really trying to be a facsimile of what hes going to hear with the orchestra. As each year went along, [the demos] sounded more like what the orchestra was going to sound like. Today, it still doesnt sound as good as an orchestra, but you can hear the whole progression from, I think the first demo is from 1987 [for] Beetlejuice and Alice being the last demos. That was the embarrassing part. I decided if Im going to do that, I might as well put on the stuff thats interesting to me, and the stuff that was interesting to me was the stuff that didnt make it in the score. I did a lot of moments of purposely picking a piece of music that isnt exactly the piece as you hear it in the movie. I guess once you open that door, you might as well embrace it and let the listener who is interested into the process of how I put something together. By the time I got to Alice, I did a thing where I picked the one thing, the Alice theme which was on the CD, and I did three other versions of it going backward an earlier first orchestral attempt at something that never got used and two or three synthesized versions going back to where you could just hear the beginning of the melody and now you can hear the B part of the melody. Now you can hear the whole thing, and then you can hear it go to orchestra, and then you can hear the final thing. If one was so inclined, they could hear the development of a theme, how I work.

GM: In the culture that we live in now, where people listen to DVD commentaries and watch behind-the-scenes features so frequently, there would seem to be a real interest in seeing exactly how something like that comes together.

DE: I dont know whether this type of person whos really interested in this level of minutiae and detail, whether its 10 people, hundreds or thousands, but it doesnt matter. Thats who we put this together for. However many or few they are. The book, the same thing. At first I thought, this is going to be viewed as the most self-indulgent thing ever. I would die if I read that. Again, Richard was like, No, no. You have to think of this not as a biography but really extensive liner notes.

GM: How much of an impact would you say your partnership with Tim has had on your composing career? Didnt he initially come to you to ask you to score Pee-wees Big Adventure before you had considered writing music for film?

DE: Id never even thought of it. I was a film fan, and I was a film music fan. At that point, Bernard Herrmann was a god. I could listen to the scores of Max Steiner, Franz Waxman and [Erich] Korngold and identify them. I was really proud. I could hear something and go, Thats definitely Max Steiner, and Nina Roto was huge. I was a fan. Really it was almost like, the best way I can describe it, which Ive often done: If youre a basketball fan and youve always got court-side seats, youre right there on the floor, and you know the game, and youre a fan of the game, and you know the moves, you know the players, but youre just a fan, and suddenly somebody threw you the ball and said, Come on, get in the game. This was a case of going, Well, whats the worst that could happen? It was way off my radar, the idea of a fan becoming a player is not something a fan ever expects. My first reaction was actually to tell [Tim] no. I came home and met him, really liked him, I did an eight-track demo of a piece and sent it on a cassette, never expected to hear again, and two weeks later, I got the job. I said, Tell him I cant do it.

Then I decided, Ive never backed away from a challenge before, its on his shoulders if I blow it. It will be a lesson, dont go to rock-and-roll guys for film scores. I did have this pre-Oingo Boingo background with the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo where I was writing music for an eight-piece ensemble. I decided if I could write for eight pieces, I could write for a dozen pieces. If you can write for a dozen pieces, you can write a film score. Even though my first score was 65 players, youre not writing 65 parts. Youve got groups, youve got your violins, you have your cello, youve got your trombone and your French horns. Youre not really necessarily writing for that many parts. Especially as I look back, its a good thing Pee-wee was a very simple score. That was the first thing that struck me when I listened to it because I hadnt heard it in all these years.

Tim opened every door for me. Every score for the next 10 years opened up a new side of my career. Pee-wees Big Adventure got me offered every quirky comedy made in Hollywood. Out of the blue, Im offered 10 movies, and theyre all kind of contemporary, slightly some of them were not so quirky comedies. Then Beetlejuice. Oh, fantasy, you can stretch out a bit more. Then Batman, that was the roughest of my career the time where I really had to fight for something [it was,] Oh, do a big movie. Then Edward Scissorhands and its like, ah, well, romantic, sure. Every one of those was opening up another door. Suddenly, the offers after each of those would be of a more diverse nature. By the time I got to Batman, I wanted to keep doing it. Id thought of my band as the day job, and this was my night job, my weekend job, my side project. By the time I got to Batman, it was like, no, Im enjoying this and was putting a tremendous amount of time [into] trying to learn the craft. Tim used to joke in between each of his films, I was doing four. Pee-wee was one, Beetlejuice was five, Batman was 10, my 10th film. Edward didnt quite make it to 15, I think it was 14 or 16 or something. He said, How are you doing all of these films in between each of my films? I told him, if I dont, Im not going to be able to do each of your films because each film was asking more of me. I didnt want them all to be like Pee-wee with a different melody or different tone.

Tim Burton Collective News: Elfman Interview: Burton 'Opened Every Door For Me'

Gast Stefan Jania

Kam eben per Mail. Die Box verschiebt sich auf Februar, aber es gibt ein tolles Goodie für die Warner-Vorbesteller:

Thank you for your order of "THE DANNY ELFMAN & TIM BURTON 25TH ANNIVERSARY MUSIC BOX"

Due to the elaborate workmanship required in creating this unique treasure box our manufacturer will not be able to deliver until February. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this delay.

In appreciation of your order, Warner Bros Records is pleased to let you know that we will be sending you a very special HOLIDAY GIFT:

THE DANNY ELFMAN & TIM BURTON 25TH ANNIVERSARY MUSIC BOX

COLLECTOR'S EDITION

BONUS DISC

Created EXCLUSIVELY for the now sold-out Numbered, Limited Collector's Edition of 1000, this BONUS DISC will feature special musical content. Only those who already purchased the COLLECTOR'S EDITION will receive this rare 17th Disc as an addition to the set's 16 CD collection.

To make your holidays even brighter, this bonus gift disc will be AUTOGRAPHED BY DANNY ELFMAN!

Thank you again for your support and patience.

Die Frage ist, ob nur Warner die ersten, nummerierten tausend Exemplare, die jetzt ausverkauft sind, exklusiv vertrieben hat. Denn der erste Schwung ist zwar ausverkauft, aber nun findet sich auf der Warner-Seite ein Pre-Order-Button für die "Tim-Burton-Danny-Elfman-Music-Box", ebenfalls für 500 Dollar. Womöglich war der einzige Unterschied zur ersten Auflage, dass diese einfach eine handgeschriebene Nummerierung auf 1000 Stück hatte. Das wäre dann natürlich Pech für die, die dachten, die zweite Auflage würde günstiger werden.

Von daher nehme ich an, dass Amazon, cduniverse usw die zweite Auflage bekommen werden.

schwer zu sagen... gehe aber mal auch eher davon aus, dass die 1000 numerierten und nun mit extra CD ausgestatteten nur exklusiv bei Warner waren... war eh überrascht zu sehen, dass die auch woanders dann erhältlich war...

nun denn... ne Numerierung machts für mich nicht wertvoller, schade um die 17te, aber kann mir nicht vorstellen dass da so viel Tolles dann druff is und das Autogramm... ach naja... irgendwann läuft einem der mal über den Weg... hähä... stalk...

:)

Da fragt man sich, warum die bei Warner das nicht von Anfang an publiziert haben, dass es bei ihnen noch eine Zusatzbonus CD mit Autogramm gibt. Ich glaube ja kaum, dass die das jetzt so kurzfristig entschieden haben, die Käufer damit für die Verschiebung zu "entschädigen".

Na ja, eine signierte Zusatz CD wäre zwar nett gewesen. Aber ich kann auch gut ohne leben. Mir sind die 111$ Ersparnis lieber. :)

Gast CountJabberwock

Hatte mich schon damals bei der Ankündigung auf die Box gefreut doch der Preis war zunächst ein Schock. Die Kaufbereitschaft war noch immer da doch am Geld hat es gefehlt. Da waren andere Sachen wie z.B. PKW TÜV und die dafür notwendigen Reparaturen oder die Heizöllieferung wichtiger. :) Hab trotzdem immer etwas beiseite gelegt und zusammen mit dem Weihnachtsgeld wollte ich mir die Box als Geschenk machen. Ich dachte bei dem hohen Preis von $500 zzgl Port/Zoll wird es ein Weilchen dauern bis die 1000 Stück weg sind. Doch nun haben wir den Salat. Zum Glück gibts noch eine weitere Auflage...doch dann das: Käufer der auf 1000 Stück limitierten Ausgabe direkt über den WB Store bekommen noch eine Bonus CD welche obendrein von Elfman signiert ist. Hätte man das vorher bekannt gegeben dänn hätte ich wohl aufs Heizöl verzichtet und mir lieber nen warmen Pullover und die Box gegönnt. :) Denn als Elfman Fan wär das die Krönung gewesen.

Wir reden hier ja nicht von einer beliebigen 0815 "Best of" CD für ein paar Euro die alle naselang eine Neuauflage mit wechselnden Bonustracks erfährt sondern DER nahezu vollständigen Sammlerbox. Wenn ich $500 zzgl. Porto und Zoll für solch eine Mammutbox hinlege dann sollte die wirklich weitestgehend komplett sein. Und nun kommen sie mit einer exklusiven Bonus CD daher die obendrein noch signiert ist. Ich kann ja verstehen das Elfman nicht ein paar Tausend Stück signieren will/kann und man die Unterschrift nur auf die erste Auflage beschränkt...aber die Musik sollte doch bei beiden Auflagen identisch sein. Denn genau deshalb kauft man ja die Box. Ich hab als Elfman Fan eh schon viele der in der Box enthaltenen Scores einzeln aber würde sie mir aufgrund der Vollständigkeit dennoch kaufen. Doch wenn ich jetzt order fehlt mir erneut eine CD mit Bonus Tracks an die ich nirgends sonst herankomme. So leid es mir tut aber dann sehe ich lieber ganz und gar vom Kauf ab. Klingt zwar verrückt aber ist so ein Tick von mir: entweder komplett oder gar nicht. Wenn ich z.B. aus was für Gründen auch immer zu spät im Kino ankomme und der Film läuft schon 2-3 Minuten dann verzichte ich da auch lieber ganz darauf und komme ein anderes mal wieder - zuletzt geschehen z.B. bei 2001 - A Spacy Odyssey obwohl ich da nur die Overture verpasst hätte in der noch gar nichts passiert. Wirklich schade um die schöne Box, aber so nicht.

Die Bonus-CD wird sicherlich Anfang 2011 bei Ebay und Konsorten zu astronomischen Preisen auftauchen...:)...aber erst mal abwarten, was dort überhaupt drauf ist.

Aber es war von vornherein klar, dass es eine zweite Auflage geben würde, es stand explizit "Limited, numbered FIRST run" dabei, wobei man aber auch mutmaßen könnte, dass die Box nie vor Weihnachten fertig geworden wäre und man so nur die Kaufbereitschaft vor Weihnachten ausnutzen wollte. Die Bonus-Disc werden nur die WB-Besteller bekommen, es haben ja auch nur die WB-Besteller diese Mail bekommen und alles andere wäre einfach zu aufwändig für WB. Nur bei Warner wird es die ersten 1000 Stück gegeben haben, die zweite Auflage wird dann an die anderen Händler verteilt.

Die Bonus-CD wird sicherlich Anfang 2011 bei Ebay und Konsorten zu astronomischen Preisen auftauchen...:)...aber erst mal abwarten, was dort überhaupt drauf ist.

Oder zumindest...hüstel, hüstel...über die üblichen Onlinekanäle zum kostenfreien Probehören. Für die wenigen, denen es noch um die Musik an sich geht.

:)

Gerade erst habe ich aus großbritannien die complete recordings box zu herr der ringe 3 für 22 euro bekommen, die seinerzeit mal fast für das dreifache ging. Wenn diese elfman box also tatsächlich auch weiterhin verfügbar sein wird dürfte es nicht lange dauern, bis der preis gerade bei online shops wie amazon purzelt. Alles kommt zu dem, der warten kann und wenn die box in 5 jahren mal für 200 euro verscherbelt wird greife ich gerne zu :)

Dein Kommentar

Du kannst jetzt schreiben und Dich später registrieren. Wenn Du ein Konto hast, melde Dich jetzt an, um unter Deinem Benutzernamen zu schreiben.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Nur 75 Emojis sind erlaubt.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

Teilen

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Wir nutzen auf unserer Webseite Cookies, um Ihnen einen optimalen Service zu bieten. Wenn Sie weiter auf unserer Seite surfen, stimmen Sie der Cookie-Verwendung und der Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten über Formulare zu. Zu unserer Datenschutzerklärung: Datenschutzerklärung